• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

holy freaking guacomole. Alan Wake vid at IDF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know this is coming out for 360 and PC but what about for PC what Os is it running on and is it using DX9 or the New DX10?
What are the specs needed to run such a game?
I know in the video they talk about quad core but will it be playable on the single and dualcores?

OMG the presenter's voice is evil.

But from what I saw from E3 and other such things, that is all real time rendering. I am definatly excited for Alan Wake myself :D

liftedcj7on44s said:
Wow. that games gonna put a hurting on any video card out to date now. Just imagine having 7.1 surround with a physics card and a kick arse video card, wow just wow!

No need for 7.1.

But I defianatly agree that a beefy SLI or Crossfire system is a REQUIREMENT :D

games must be coded using Ageia's physx card, so it looks like the only thing to help with this game would be more cores, unless it was coded with their engine (which from the stuff I have seen so far isn't worth $200+ for the card).

The graphics look good, but I need to see actual gameplay in order to decide if it is worth it or not.

theELVISCERATOR said:
I laugh at the comments the kids who think a 360 will run it AS SHOWN.

You think they will remove the dynamic lighting, the weather system simulator, the textures?

What are you getting at? Please be more specific.

Certainly it will be tweaked for performance like any game, but are you talking whole sale changes to the engine or what?

ps for the poster up a ways it runs a propritary version of DX and I have yet to see a good comparison of its features vs. DX9.

hmm definately really good looking game but it still looks like a game. It looks like a beefed up Half life 2 engine to me. It's got the gritty look to it as opposed to the shiny candy like look of something like the Doom3 engine.

I still think Crysis looks better.

Like, that screen shot on the alan wake page of the coal mine

http://www.alanwake.com/screenshots/Alan_Wake_2006_002_thumb.jpg

Looks like it could be from a HL2 mod or something.

OC Noob said:
You think they will remove the dynamic lighting, the weather system simulator, the textures?

What are you getting at? Please be more specific.

Certainly it will be tweaked for performance like any game, but are you talking whole sale changes to the engine or what?

ps for the poster up a ways it runs a propritary version of DX and I have yet to see a good comparison of its features vs. DX9.

Well if they are running the sim on a physx card with duo core processors and who knows how much vid ram..(assume 512 prob SLI also) with min 2gb system ram (prob 4g). who knows how much will be cut to run on a 360..

Its all conjecture right now...

I see what games look like on 360 now, with no AA/AF and to me they look like jagged crap.

theELVISCERATOR said:
Well if they are running the sim on a physx card with duo core processors and who knows how much vid ram..(assume 512 prob SLI also) with min 2gb system ram (prob 4g). who knows how much will be cut to run on a 360..

Its all conjecture right now...

I see what games look like on 360 now, with no AA/AF and to me they look like jagged crap.

All 360 games should have AA at a minimum since its performance free with the embeded ram and Oblivion wasn't too different on the 360 comparded to a high end PC when IGN or Gamespot compared them and that was with limited dev time with final dev kits. Remedy will likely have 4 times the amount of time to work with the 360's hardware.

But I'm not saying you are wrong because they likely will have to make sacrifices to get acceptable performance through the entire game so who knows what it'll look like in the end. Then again they may be able to tweak some extra performance out of the engine with the time they have left. Its not due out till sometime 07 is it? I don't know how raw the game is right now either though.

ps they didn't have a physx card running anything did they?

that was just plain sick. wonder how much those quad core intels are gonna run... :(

Back