• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement for Tuniq Tower 120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Well for some reason when I mount my tuniq tower 120 on my DS3 it must short it or something because I get no booting. When I had it just sitting on there with the back plate attached, not screwed down, it would freeze after detecting ram.

So right now I'm using the stock intel cooler, but its load and not efficent. What is a good heatsink that is quite as the tuniq tower, but is just as efficent?

I'm thinking maybe I can trade someone in the classifieds, since Tuniq Towers are on the rare.

Shelnutt2 said:
Well for some reason when I mount my tuniq tower 120 on my DS3 it must short it or something because I get no booting. When I had it just sitting on there with the back plate attached, not screwed down, it would freeze after detecting ram.

So right now I'm using the stock intel cooler, but its load and not efficent. What is a good heatsink that is quite as the tuniq tower, but is just as efficent?

I'm thinking maybe I can trade someone in the classifieds, since Tuniq Towers are on the rare.

hmm weird but if your going to trade you better hurry cause there coming in stock real soon they emailed me this Please check back with the major on-line stores around 9/30/2006, If not around 10/12/2006.

jcw122 said:
Why don't you screw it down and try that?

I had tried that...........now I've got it semi working, I had it to tight when I first screwed it down, but now when its in my case I can't get the mobo to post.

If you end up having to replace it, the Ultra 120 is right up there with the Tuniq tower in performance. Also with a C2D, the XP90-C with a 92mm Delta 3 blade works wonderfully for me on my e6600.

As does my xp-90. I did run into one issue where I mounted the xp in one location and the temps where high. Turned out it was just enough that one edge of the xp was resting (barely noticible (sp)) on some capacitors next to the slot. Rotated it and all was well.

I myself have the Scythe Ninja and I've gotten excellent performance/temperatures out of it.

If I'm thinking of the right "Tuniq Tower" product, the Ninja is similar in design.

jcw122 said:
I myself have the Scythe Ninja and I've gotten excellent performance/temperatures out of it.

If I'm thinking of the right "Tuniq Tower" product, the Ninja is similar in design.

i just got my ninja plus from newegg and it owns much better than my artic freezer 64

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
If you replace your Tuniq, I would recommend the Infinity from Scythe, it's a VERY nice heatsink.

very big though but yea if i didnt get my ninja plus i would of went with the inifinity

How do all these stack up on the sound issue? I mean my Tuniq Tower was running 25-27 C in th bios, and was passive. The stock intel heatsink is running ~40C and is the only thing in my system I can hear. I don't want to go to a heatsink thats an excellent performer but has a tornado as a fan. One reason I picked the Tuniq Tower originally, was that it is top of the line, and for the most part does not have a screaming fan.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
If you replace your Tuniq, I would recommend the Infinity from Scythe, it's a VERY nice heatsink.

problem is the infinity is a less of a cooler is than a ninja... and the ninja is every so slightly less than a Ultra 120.... ALTHOUGH for a passive heatsink the ninja would work better because its fins are spaced further apart... the ultra 120 would still work as a good passive cooler in the same setup but it would todally excell if it had a very low power 120mm fan on it like a yate loon @ 7v

nd4spdbh2 said:
problem is the infinity is a less of a cooler is than a ninja... and the ninja is every so slightly less than a Ultra 120.... ALTHOUGH for a passive heatsink the ninja would work better because its fins are spaced further apart... the ultra 120 would still work as a good passive cooler in the same setup but it would todally excell if it had a very low power 120mm fan on it like a yate loon @ 7v

Hmmm, they are all still huge coolers like my tuniq tower. I'm not sure why my tuniq tower doesn't work, but its not working.

So the XP-90 or XP-120 don't even stack up to those?

My whole thing about passiveness was not that It must be passive, but I want a good heatsink that isn't a tornado. Quiter the better, but I'm a little weary of another giant tower heatsink...

You should check on the back of your MB if some pins of them components aren't too long. I've heard of some ppl having problems with that, cause the pins went trough the isolation of the back plate and made a sc back there... so check this, and if you want you can cut them a bit, and reenforce the isolation of your back plate

NenadCrusader said:
You should check on the back of your MB if some pins of them components aren't too long. I've heard of some ppl having problems with that, cause the pins went trough the isolation of the back plate and made a sc back there... so check this, and if you want you can cut them a bit, and reenforce the isolation of your back plate

Good idea, but from looking at the back plate I don't see any puncture marks, doesn't mean it wasn't breaking through, but there is no evidence.

jcw122 said:
It had better not be about sales cause selling things outside of the classifieds is strictly prohibitied.

lol dont worry man, not everyone needs a baby sitter around here, anything that takes place will be done within forum rules, but I thank you for your un needed concern.

Are you bored or something ? We have talked and it will be done in the classies if it happens.

When I am ready to trade this or sell it everything will be done via classifieds;)

So XP-120 or XP-90 with a 92mm fan on it for a win?

Back