• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP ME!!! WIN XP ERROR!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowhawk109

So, heres the story, one that I DESPERATELY NEED HELP WITH:
My USB ports were acting up on the compy in my sig. SO, I ran Memtest with no results. SO, I decided "maybe turning down FSB speed might help". So i did. And now, the Hard Drive has taken a dive and WILL NOT BOOT AT ALL! I get a Stop Error that says my Hard Drive either has a virus or is corrupted. I know its not either because I can access ALMOST any file on it on my brothers computer by putting it as the slave to his master.
END RESULT:

HOW CAN I FIX WINDOWS AND GET IT TO BOOT UP AGAIN WITHOUT HAVING TO REINSTALL ANYTHING?! PLEAAAAAAASE HELP!

I did reset the bios-I get the WinXP loading screen for all of 3 seconds then i get the error again
The WD is IDE not SATA
How do I run a chkdisk?

Sounds like corruption to me. You could try a repair installation but there isn't much you can do about if beyond that.

alright-i'll run chkdisk tomorrow...

Is there any way of getting the folders in "My Documents" off of the HDD?
Right now it says "D:\Documents and Settings\(me)\My Documents" is unaccessable"

I REALLY NEED THOSE FILES!!! IF I CAN GET THEM, I CAN REINSTALL WINDOWS WITH NO PROBLEMS!

Shadowhawk109 said:
alright-i'll run chkdisk tomorrow...

Is there any way of getting the folders in "My Documents" off of the HDD?
Right now it says "D:\Documents and Settings\(me)\My Documents" is unaccessable"

I REALLY NEED THOSE FILES!!! IF I CAN GET THEM, I CAN REINSTALL WINDOWS WITH NO PROBLEMS!

Well you could try to copy the my docs contents to another drive, but chances are it wont let you.(if its denieing access) Check the attributes for the directory.

Shadowhawk109 said:
Whatcha mean check attributes? PM Me i gotta go for the night

Unless i'm mistaken, XP limits access to the my documents folder of each user on a computer. In this case, another user (your brother's account) is trying to access your my documents folder, and it's not letting you. That's how I understand it anyhow, could be wrong. There should be a way to get them though, somehow. You can't just copy the whole thing?

YES! AWESOMENESS!!!!

Thanks, all!
Following redduc900's MSHelp link, I "hacked" (just changed the permissions, but its kind of like hacking lol) my own hard drive using my bro's compy, and now I'm rescuing my documents. I just need to rescue my start menu and my desktop and i can start reinstalling windows-:santa:
I have a friend who's gonna loan me a 160GB HDD so I can throw windows on it, get it working (this time I'll continuously check to make sure my USB ports work) and then put all my old files on it, and then clear my old corruped HDD and give that to him. So, neither of us looses anything!

You've all been a great help-I owe ya all a round of drinks.
And if you're too young, here's a root beer: :beer:

I shall keep you informed if what is going on works or does not...if you managed to get me this far I'm sure you can help me when I pull off a n00b and get stuck again!

In Your Debt,
Shadowhawk

Back