• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu comparison by clock speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nandro

Disabled
Just a general question. Right now I have a D805 running at 3.92Ghz stable 24/7. I was looking into some of the other LGA775 CPU's because the prices are falling fairly quick now. What sor of improvement would I see from say a D920 at the same speed? I know the 920 should clock a bit higher, but relatively, if they both wind up at 4ghz say its because my MB is holding it back, will I see any real world difference in performance? I know the 920 is 65nm and has an extra 2M cache. What will that translate to 10%, more? less? Just asking if its worth it to even bother.

Considering an e6300 is only $180 I'd say any of the prices I see for a new P-D isn't worth it. Maybe if you get an extremely good deal on a used one but the cache itself isn't any kind of great improvement you'll have to get higher clocks to notice it outside benchmarking.

Yea, thats pretty much the point, is I have no real sum of funds to get a new cpu and new MB that would be worth getting, but I occasionally see a 920 or similar for around $100 and expect them to get even cheaper as the newer C2D's come out and more selling means more competative sale prices. I would love an EE edition for say $150 just to play with, but I dont even have that. It would have to be under $100 for me to get. I have too many medical bills right now. In any case, I know the C2D kills all the Netbust cpu's, question is, if I did get a real cheap 920 or 940 or similar would it be worth spending $100 considering I might get $50 for my D805 so really a $50 investment.

Also, I have 2 NV cards for sli, so if I was to go conroe I would need an sli board. Not sure what the prices are for a decent oc'er, but I'm going to start looking. It's just painfull to shop for stuff you cant afford... :)

Nandro said:
question is, if I did get a real cheap 920 or 940 or similar would it be worth spending $100 considering I might get $50 for my D805 so really a $50 investment.

I don't think the little extra performance would be worth it. Who knows, you may even get a doggy 920 that wouldn't even overclock all that great.

Why not be patient and wait a while? In a month or 2, you may be able to get a C2D and motherboard combo for around $225. You could sell your Smithfield and old board to take the sting out of the purchase.

Get a C2D supporting motherboard and run your 805 on it until you can get a E6400. Gigabyte makes one that overclocks nicely and sells for well under $200.

I'm thinking of getting an Asus P5W64 WS Professional workstation for ~$300 and then some months later getting a Kentsfield. I'll have to run a cheap processor until I can swing the finances for the 4 core Kentsfield and lots more RAM.

I know very well what it's like to want even modest equipment and not be able to afford it. But by carefully planning my systems in stair steps, I've been able to eventually acquire a nice Xeon duallie system.

BTW I've been getting my paychecks garnished from $15k of overdue medical bills for over a year now and at the rate new ones are coming in, this will go on for several more years until I can finish college and get 3x more pay. I feel your pain and maybe even more.

If your SLI config isnt 7900GTX's or 7950GT's.. 99.98% chance, you can get a single card that can beat them for the price that you can sell both cards for.

Id sell the SLI config. and get a better single card, and grab a C2D or even a kentfeild compatable motherboard now, they can run your 805D untill you have the funds two swing a faster processor.

I had a similiar situation last month with P4 D805 and P5LD2-VM and lucky me I was offered by our local Asus distributor here for a "really" good bargain on P5B-Dlx for about $210, at that time the retail price was about $ 240-$250.
This mobo's box was somewhat damaged since they used it for a short 1 day exhibition on this product launching, I can live with that and grabbed it without thinking twice and old mobo was sold for a good price too. :)

About the C2D, currently I still can wait until the "me too" hysteria to cool down, the C2D and a ram price will also fall like a rock after this nov or dec.

Now I'm happy with P5B-Dlx, a good yielded D805, 2 X 512MB value select corsair and 2 X 7200.10 perp drives with plain Intel stock cooler ! :D Especially my D805 and this mobo, it can really runs at low vcore on stock speed on idle like this screen shot, verified using DVM on PWM output, its actually on true voltage at 1.05V and while onload the droop was 0.02V (1.03V) !

Dunno why, it was never possible with the previous mobo minimum 1.310V at stock speed, btw the VID is 1.313V reported by RighMark CPUClock utility. :)

VCore_1.03.PNG

For now on 24/7 it is at 3.66Ghz with vcore 1.315V Intel stock cooler, while max OC is here and couldn't go further since its HSF limited.

It's simple: Get a $100 C2D motherboard for your D 805 and you'll finally be able to hit 4ghz (chances are...) :)

The Gigabyte S3 costs around that, supports C2D, clocks VERY nicely, and should get you a couple more hundred mhz out of the 805. That and you'll be ready to run a C2D the next time you have money to get one.

If your SLI config isnt 7900GTX's or 7950GT's.. 99.98% chance, you can get a single card that can beat them for the price that you can sell both cards for.
Well, the reason I have 2 cards and not in SLI yet is because I had a friend helpme out and gave me a 7800GT for a song and dance. I had a 7800gtx that had a ram chip ripped off 2 days after I got it in a trade from my old amd system to this one, the video card being a big part of the deal. Long story short, its been almost 3 months, and BFG is finally sending me back a new 7800GTX, when I though there was no way in hell they would do anything with it. Had no box, superglued HS's and an arctic silencer. So I will have a 7800gt and a 7800gtx, hoping to upgrade to 2 7800gt's and make a few bucks off the gtx. The money situation is not that easy. I broke my neck and lower spine and am waiting on dissability to come through which could be 6 months to a year, so when I say funds are tight, I mean like $20 here and there decides if my wife and I eat this week. So for now any major upgrades including a new MB are probably out. I figured maybe a used better processor if I sold my D805 for $50 and made $50-60 off the sale of the 7800GTX. My issue with selling stuff like my board and cpu is if a check comes in my wife wil point to a stack of bills and claim it, so usually I like to tade so there is no loss of parts that I currently have. Hopefully I can find a gt owner who will give me a gt and say $50 or so for a swap. The 7800gtx's look harder to find although I found someone who will ship to me for $200, I dont see how I could sell my 7800gt and get any extra funds. Thanks for the opinions though. I think I will just stick with the D805 till my financial situation is better. 1 Surgury and I should be back to work... I just need them to cover the $350,000 to do it :)

Also, I know 1 card would be better than 2 given the newer ones out, but in my situation, I have wanted to try sli and dont see it happening any time soon unless I can work something out with these 7800's. The fact that BFG even sent me the gtx is a blessing as I never thought they would do it, A friend who used to work there sent it in for me so I guess it was a favor, but thats also luck as well... he could have just said, " are you nuts?"

You broke your neck and spine... I broke my foot... somebody else was attacked by their cat... It's been a pretty rough and tumble couple of months here at Ocforums...

I'm fairness, I broke my neck and back almost 2 years ago and had successfull surguries to help it. Problem is is degenerative disc disease ans stenosis of the spine where the bone tightens around the spinal colum. After losing my job because of it I have been unable to get insurance and have applied for state aide 3 times and been denied. My wife works 2 shifts to keep up and it makes me feel badly. Thats why even small upgrades are hard right now for me. If you look in my sig I give thanks to the people who have helped me get up to even having a 7800gt, I started with a 7300gt. The original 7800gtx broke (my fault) 3 days after I aquired it and bikinistud was gracious enough to help me out and I had furthur help from there, so its not like I even really laid out money for what I have. It was really through donations from people I have known on here for years. If you were in the same situation, wouldnt you feel bad spending $100 on a MB if it came at the cost of your wife working double shifts and overtime to get by? I just cant do it. Thats why I asked if the 940 would be worth it. I can sell my d805 and my gtx, have enough for a gt for sli and a 940cpu. Anything that would require actual funds is no optional, unless u want to give me a loan :) Believe me I envy everyone who has a C2D and 790GTX ans 1900 series cards. Once I get dissability, possibly a tear or so from now I will be the same old lunatic with water cooling and 4x4 setup and such. For now, I feel lucky to have a PC. The opinions are appreciated anyhow. Is there any LGA775 older cpu that would offer a decent upgrade to the d805? I wish I could fall on an extreme edition cpu maybe as a trade for my 7800gtx, or something along those lines. Maybe I should have stuck with amd iinstead of trading for the intel setup. The biggest benefit of that trade was knowing the d805 clocked well and I went from a 6800NU to a 7800GTX. I was moving it in my system and the previous owner had put sinks on all the ram, nedless to say I accidentally ripped one off after owning it for 2 days. I was a sad puppy for about 2 weeks, I am much more carefull now and thankfull to BFG. I highly endorse them as thats not usuall for a company to replace a card that has been handled like that. AKZip helped me get it through BFG and I owe him a huge thanks, as with his help, this system may well last me untill I am on my feet again. I love this forum, for years I have been here with alot of the same members, its almost like a family.

Sorry for rambeling, just wanted to sincerly express my appreciation, and I wouldnt even have any better than an old gatway to get on the net if not for generous members who I hope to repay someday.

Thanks OC Forums!!!

Back