• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AnandTech's GPU FAH Report

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can't wait for some real numbers. 20-40x faster is ridiculous!!! It would either require a major point scheme overhaul and I can see certain teams getting totally left behind if they don't have any gpu power on their team.

Well, everyone start buying 1950xtx's! LOL

I wonder if since there so much faster, the point value is going to be less, or the WU itself is going to be bigger. Bigger WU means Longer time, with same points. Or smaller WU, with less points, so that its equal to a CPU WU.

Hmm.. Well have to see.

Either way I would geuss that there will be a sizable bonus added in order to encourage the use of the gpus at least for the beginning. Now if they follow through with the 1650's then I won't have to let the agp boards go and that would be a nice thing for me and many more I suspect.

I wonder if in the future our new yatta monsters will feature the ATi cards of today, crunching alongside a farily recent CPU. Time will tell, but to me it seems like this GPU folding phenomena will soon take over and we'll be looking for borgs with nice GPUs as well as fast CPUs.

you know I was just looking into buying a new vid card.... hmmmmmm I've always been an nvidia person myself. What models of ATI cards are in the X19xx series?

The AnandTech article is complemented nicely by the slides Dr. Pande issued to the enthusiast sites.

nahmus said:
you know I was just looking into buying a new vid card.... hmmmmmm I've always been an nvidia person myself. What models of ATI cards are in the X19xx series?

Handy reference chart here. Hurry, stocks are limited! ;)

I think the GPU clients should have a different points scale.

If the current points scheme is based on what an average PC can do in one day, then the GPU points scheme should be based on what an average GPU can do in one day.

The GPU client can be a lot quicker but afaik it's not as useful across a range of projects. If GPUs do 40x the PPD that CPUs do then you will effectively lose a lot of folders. Why keep going when the GPU folders swap your contributions?

That's true...seriously if it turns out that a single 1900XTX will outperform and outpoint my entire farm of 45+ CPUs, I'll be seriously annoyed. Not to mention all the teams that don't have many members that game.

~FA

It'll taper off.

Think about it, they want people to start GPU folding, so the bonuses will be big at first, then they'll slowly go back to what David describes.

FoldingAddict said:
That's true...seriously if it turns out that a single 1900XTX will outperform and outpoint my entire farm of 45+ CPUs, I'll be seriously annoyed.

qft...lol... true that. :) I'm waiting to see how the gpus deal with the heat. I think we might see some ATI meltdown. :D

FoldingAddict said:
That's true...seriously if it turns out that a single 1900XTX will outperform and outpoint my entire farm of 45+ CPUs, I'll be seriously annoyed. Not to mention all the teams that don't have many members that game.~FA

That won't happen, but I'll be glad if running a GPU will allow me to maintain a "comfortable" ppd avg so I can retire enough machines to drop the electric bill down below insane levels.

Now that would be nice to have less get more and more result in less. Finally achieving the electrical goals.

Less is to more as more is to less. Is that mathematically sound?

If GPU's pwn CPU's I will not be annoyed. I will pony up and buy a new video card. I've been annoyed ever since QMD's were pulled out from under my feet and my point production went down by 75%.

I do forsee a controversy that will put the AMD/QMD/P4 cheese and wine fest to shame.

WWWWWWWWWWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...WWWwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.WWwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaa

It's a wahmbulance. I'm standing on the corner watching it coming down the road.

Points should be awarded based on work done. The GPU core is going to be a Gromacs based core. If a GPU does the WU equivalent of a 2124 (track the coordinates of 1258 atoms for the same # of nanoseconds) in 1/10th the time of the benchmark cpu, it should be awarded 10 times the ponts. If it does that, I don't see where any bonus is needed to get me to buy a X1900 or two. I'll be starting a new Conroe build this week.

So instead of working to borg an entire PC lab now someone can just get a rig or two? I think this could somewhat hurt the project, atleast in the amount of users. One of the great things about FAH is I can go fix a friends 5 year old PC and put FAH on it. Sure it won't be a crunching god, but it won't be a pointless borg. Also is there any talk of Nvidia support, or is this just a way to make people choose ATI over Nvidia?

Back