• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you suggest based on this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LaserJocky

Hi, I am new here, this is my first question. I am quite new to overclocking and until just recently, I was thouroughly confused by what the different things were and how to calculate them. The reason why is partly due to the type of motherboard I have: An ASUS A8V Deluxe V.2. Its' BIOS is different in how it identifies certain things, such as the memory dividers, and as a result I kept finding everything to seem backwards to what the various sites said.

Anyways, now I am just starting to undertand the basics of modern overclocking, but I know now that the RAM I have just isn't good for my system: OCZ Platinum EL 3200 2 x 256 2,2,2,6 Revision 1. I believe that it is BH-5 RAM, right? That RAM requires high voltages but my board will not go above 2.8 in the BIOS. I have read online that though OCZ says their RAM Booster must not be used with my motherboard, that so long as I stay below 3 volts I am safe. So I am thinking of getting one maybe.

In the mean time, I need to know what RAM modules are my best choice. I plan on eventually getting a dual core processor for this (I will build another new system next year after the dust settles a little with all of the recent CPU/Chipset/DX-10VidCard/RAM changes). I am thinking it will be an Opty, since I am under the impression that they clock the best.

Anyways, I need to buy some 2 x 1GB modules that will OC reasonably well. I don't necessarily wanted the hottest, badest stuff, in fact, I am hoping to not go too much above $200 if possible, but I hope for low latency, low voltage, yet good OC. What modules do you guys suggest? I have looked around, but I am still unsure, I do hope for lifetime warranty...

Tons of thanks in advance!:beer:

LaserJocky said:
Hi, I am new here, this is my first question. I am quite new to overclocking and until just recently, I was thouroughly confused by what the different things were and how to calculate them. The reason why is partly due to the type of motherboard I have: An ASUS A8V Deluxe V.2. Its' BIOS is different in how it identifies certain things, such as the memory dividers, and as a result I kept finding everything to seem backwards to what the various sites said.

Anyways, now I am just starting to undertand the basics of modern overclocking, but I know now that the RAM I have just isn't good for my system: OCZ Platinum EL 3200 2 x 256 2,2,2,6 Revision 1. I believe that it is BH-5 RAM, right? That RAM requires high voltages but my board will not go above 2.8 in the BIOS. I have read online that though OCZ says their RAM Booster must not be used with my motherboard, that so long as I stay below 3 volts I am safe. So I am thinking of getting one maybe.

In the mean time, I need to know what RAM modules are my best choice. I plan on eventually getting a dual core processor for this (I will build another new system next year after the dust settles a little with all of the recent CPU/Chipset/DX-10VidCard/RAM changes). I am thinking it will be an Opty, since I am under the impression that they clock the best.

Anyways, I need to buy some 2 x 1GB modules that will OC reasonably well. I don't necessarily wanted the hottest, badest stuff, in fact, I am hoping to not go too much above $200 if possible, but I hope for low latency, low voltage, yet good OC. What modules do you guys suggest? I have looked around, but I am still unsure, I do hope for lifetime warranty...

Tons of thanks in advance!:beer:

Laser,

You might want to find out what voltage your RAMs need. They may well be 2.6 volts and you can do a fair overclock with 2.8v. Try the OCZ web site for your model number or something very similar.

Try them, the're good RAMs.

You might want to look at this thread too:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591

Ah, well, it isn't overclocking at all, it crashes. When I first put the system together I was able to get up a to fair speed, but since then every time I try to overclock, my system hangs up/crashes, borks the BIOS, and I have to reset the CMOS or sometimes even reflash. Very frustrating, I keep wondering if I have some bad parts, but it is too late now I guess...

Back