• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

replacing windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dorian_Gray

Registered
Ok, I am pretty new to Linux. I have used it a few times, but I am interested in replacing Windows XP with Linux. However, I have a few questions......

Why so many versions? Which version is standard?

Can i still play games that require windows/direct x (by using an emulator or something?). Will the performance of the games drop?

Will graphics card drivers etc. be as readily available for linux?

Thank you for your time!

Dorian_Gray said:
Ok, I am pretty new to Linux. I have used it a few times, but I am interested in replacing Windows XP with Linux. However, I have a few questions......

Why so many versions? Which version is standard?
It's open source, so lots of people have differnet ideas about how the OS should be set up, and they can just create their own distro. Linux is really just a kernel, you can do whatever you want with it. There is no "standard" version. For a beginner, I suggest Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Can i still play games that require windows/direct x (by using an emulator or something?). Will the performance of the games drop?
Some, but not all, will work through wine or Cedega.

Will graphics card drivers etc. be as readily available for linux?

Thank you for your time!
Depends on the card. For 2d drivers most cards are fine.

Because linux is open source, everyone and his brother modifies it and re-releases it. Linux is itself just a kernel, and that is actually quite standard and available from kernel.org. However, what you want is not a Linux kernel, but a Linux distribution, which includes the Linux kernel and a bunch of other tools (mostly made by the GNU project).

There is no single standard distribution, although all of them use the same standard kernels. The most popular distribution right now is called Ubuntu. The other major distros are Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, Fedora, Mandriva, Slackware, and a few others I'm probably forgetting atm.

Ubuntu is a good place to start for a beginner. Gentoo is my personal favorite and it's what I use, but the install is daunting (while the Ubuntu install is trivial / automatic).

You can play a lot of direct x games using a program called cedega. It is not free though. Performance is usually pretty close to what you get in windows. However, some simply don't work quite right, or don't work at all. Games written for linux are just as fast or faster than the same game in windows, but games that are written for windows and emulated tend to be buggy. (Strictly speaking, WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator... it's actually an implementation of the Win32 API and Cedega adds in an implementation of directx.)

Graphics card drivers are readily available for both nvidia and ati graphics cards and quite a few others. The nvidia drivers are excellent and generally of the same quality as the windows versions. The ATI drivers have come a long way but are still somewhat behind the windows counterparts.

If you use nvidia cards, the framerates will be comparable with Windows. If you use ATI cards they will be slower since ATI's OpenGL drivers aren't as good.

klingens said:
If you use nvidia cards, the framerates will be comparable with Windows. If you use ATI cards they will be slower since ATI's OpenGL drivers aren't as good.
QFT. Most of the 3D stuff on ATI cards in Linux, that I've seen, is software driven. And if you have an ATI chipset (like the 3200 I have) then you're fresh out of luck.

Back