• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm Fan reccomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Roboto

Well, i've decided I want a new fan for my Thermalright ultra-120.

Right now, I have this.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12ulhisp.html

It's 114.7 cfm, 45.5 dBa. It cools very well, but, when i undervolt it, it tends to buzz a bit. I'm using the sunbeah rheobus, if it makes a diffence. The fan used to buzz alot worse with my old PWM fan controller, but the rheobus helped alot.

anywyas

With this heatsink, i'm not really benefiting from the high cfm of this fan, because the temps don't change alot when i slow it down, so I'm willing to sacrifice some air flow for a fan that is quieter when undervolted.

Can anyone reccomend me anything? If you have any experience with it using a rheobus and/or ultra 120, that would be very helpful.

As allways,
Thanks

get a Yate Loon D12SL-12 ... less than 30dba and still pushes something like 65cfm. You can find a link to them for like $3 in the Cyber Deals forum (it's orange though)

Well, the obvious solution would be to go with this and not worry about undervolting or buzzing:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12ulqu.html

The Delta EFB fans do pretty well undervolted, though. I don't have much experience with that as I like to use high speed fans and run them straight off the power supply at 12V, such as the Tornado I'm using now.

Ive got the same design of cooler, and a high flow fan is not the best choice. The ultra 120/90 benefit most from low flow fans.

telexen said:
get a Yate Loon D12SL-12 ... less than 30dba and still pushes something like 65cfm. You can find a link to them for like $3 in the Cyber Deals forum (it's orange though)

They don't push quite that much. More like 45-50 I think, but they are pretty quiet. Scythe S-Flex F fans are just as quiet if not quieter and push more air. I use both in my case. Two S-Flex Fs on the radiator along with 2 yate loons and 3 more yate loons throughout the case. They all run at full voltage and are very quiet.

Well, I don't mind the noise of air rushing, it's the buzzing that bothers me.

I'd still like to get around 70-80 CFM too. I know my heatsink doesnt benefit from high cfm, but my case does, as the cpu fan helps to draw more air in from the front.

mr. roboto said:
Well, I don't mind the noise of air rushing, it's the buzzing that bothers me.

I'd still like to get around 70-80 CFM too. I know my heatsink doesnt benefit from high cfm, but my case does, as the cpu fan helps to draw more air in from the front.

In that case...don't undervolt your Panaflo...does it still buzz at 12V?

b1029384756 said:
In that case...don't undervolt your Panaflo...does it still buzz at 12V?

haha, no, it doesn't I guess what I should have said is a low air noise. This panaflow at 12V sounds like a hairdrier.

grumperfish said:
The one I have isn't insanely-loud (it's in my older franken-box comp now) but it's fantastic when the bearing goes nuts and it starts rattling every few days. I hate that fan.

haha thanks, definatley won't be getting that fan then.

I would recommend either the Panaflo L1BX that b1029384756 linked you to or maybe the Panaflo M1BX. The M1BX pushes 86.5 cfm at 35.5 dB and I have several of the M1A versions (no rpm monitoring) and find them to be a good choice for performance versus noise. The main noise out of them is airflow noise and not bearing noise. You could also probably run them off of a fan header on a modern mobo, since they only draw around 4 watts of power. The L1BX moves 69 cfm with 30 dB noise and it definitely can run off a mobo header as it only pulls a little over 2 watts of power.

I have had great luck with Panaflo fans and I have a couple of the 120mm M1A's that have been running 24/7 for 3 years now, with no increase in noise or trouble with them.

Back