• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVI cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crossed_wires

Is getting a DVI cable worth it? The new monitor I bought has an input and I noticed that my video card has one as well. Is the picture quality a huge difference compared to the standard VGA cable? Even to the layperson?
Thanks.
-Ryan

In a situation like this, it's up to the user...

do you pay for the cable? I think it's worth it over analog, but others may not.

If it were me, I'd go DVI.

Yes, I would be paying for the cable. Just wondering if its a significant difference, like comparing a VCR's picture quality to a DVD, or if its not that extreme.

You can get good DVI cables from New Egg cheap.
For liike more then half, from lets say Comp Usa.
There is a big diffrence with DVI.

There is a difference in quality. I'm not sure it's a 'huge' difference, but it's there. If you can find a cheap DVI cable, I would definitly do it. (Don't bother with the more pricey ones, it's a digital signal so it won't matter)

When I had a 7800GS, I don't think I noticed a difference between DVI and VGA. But now my video card has dual DVI, so I can't really say.

The Xbox 360 has VGA output, and that looks really good.

The nice thing about DVI is that you don't have to "tweak" the image on your monitor to make it perfect.

Back