• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I be concerned about these temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

When I play F.E.A.R, my gpu temps get pretty hot (about 65°C), even with an extra 120mm fan blowing full bore toward the VF700cu I have mounted on the card, which is running on 12V. I also will turn up all my case fans to maximize airflow, but still the game just does a number on the card. I know the card will not start to slow down until it reaches 115°C, but the 65° still bugs me.

No need to be concerned. I get up to 70C sometimes, on my SLI setup. I usually top out at 65C just like you though and I haven't seen any problems in the 6 months I've owned the setup.

Celeron_Phreak said:
No need to be concerned. I get up to 70C sometimes, on my SLI setup. I usually top out at 65C just like you though and I haven't seen any problems in the 6 months I've owned the setup.

I've been running this system since about February of this year, and no game I have gets the gpu that hot - not even FarCry. I've only had FEAR for a few months (I'm still not done with it yet...busy schedule, you know), and it never runs cooler than 59°, but always gets to 65 or 66. I never thought about lowering the game settings, but it makes sense if the card doesn't have to work as hard, then maybe it wouldn't get as hot.

Are both of your cards getting to 70°, or is that a combined temp?

if you want to see the hottest your gpu can get, run the ati tool 3d render, nothing gets my gpu hotter. But yeah...65c is pretty normal for a video card. I would say the point where you should be worried is if your card starts to reach high 70's/80's or if artifacts become visible.

enz660 said:
if you want to see the hottest your gpu can get, run the ati tool 3d render, nothing gets my gpu hotter. But yeah...65c is pretty normal for a video card. I would say the point where you should be worried is if your card starts to reach high 70's/80's or if artifacts become visible.

Will that ati thing run on my 7800GT?

The game does not show any artifacting, but after running the game for awhile, the video will start to look slightly jerky or even just a tad slow, but I don't know if that's because the card is hot or if it's because my "F.E.A.R. operative" is moving around so fast sometimes, or if it's another hardware issue. I've wondered if it's not my mouse, which is just an IBM MO28BO optical - nothing really special. We have pets, and I find little hairs in the scanner, which affects its performance.

70C is the max my cards have ever hit while benchmarking or gaming. That's each card, not combined (why combine them??).

Keep in mind my ambient/room temp is 75 - 80F constantly.

Celeron_Phreak said:
70C is the max my cards have ever hit while benchmarking or gaming. That's each card, not combined (why combine them??).

Keep in mind my ambient/room temp is 75 - 80F constantly.

I was just wondering if your temps that you stated were for each card, or split between them - i.e. 35°C per card - since each card is sharing the load. I know what I said doesn't make much sense, I was just curious.

Gig-O-Ram said:
Will that ati thing run on my 7800GT?

The game does not show any artifacting, but after running the game for awhile, the video will start to look slightly jerky or even just a tad slow, but I don't know if that's because the card is hot or if it's because my "F.E.A.R. operative" is moving around so fast sometimes, or if it's another hardware issue. I've wondered if it's not my mouse, which is just an IBM MO28BO optical - nothing really special. We have pets, and I find little hairs in the scanner, which affects its performance.

lol, I have your card dude, it runs nvidia cards run ati tool...just without some ati adjustment options I guess... the "slow" video doesnt sound like artifacts....artifacts sometimes look like random white swuares pop up on the screen or something...random green likes, parts of the screen stretch, random shapes popping up, stuff like that. That usually happens to my card when it reaches about 75-80c (when I had my stock cooler, now it never gets to 60c) try some other games or programs..see if your problem happens in other games...

Gig-O-Ram said:
the video will start to look slightly jerky or even just a tad slow, .

actually....are you talking about the cutscenes in fear? this is probably your video card not being able to sustain a constant fps.....you need a more powerful video card or turn the game settings down.

enz660 said:
heres a screen I found....this is pretty much artifact hell....owned.

http://mavra.perilith.com/~revfry/images/messedupcard..png

Tripple post FTW :beer: You should learn how to use the edit function :)

Thats a misleading picture, thats not artifacting, thats a burnt video card.

THIS is artifacting

13av4.jpg

No, the cutscenes run fine. When I mentioned things slowing down a bit, I was talking about just being in the game running around doing whatever, and sometimes it seems like the card is stressed a bit. Actually, I'm amazed at how well my card handles a game as heavy as this one. For the most part, the action (in both gunfights and just walking around) is fluid and I have no real fps issues. I just think the card is getting stressed, and may be having a rough time.

And that picture you linked to...I agree with nVidiaOCmaster, that is what my 6800GT looked like when it died before my eyes when I was playing StarWars BattlefrontII

OC...what exactly am I looking for in that cap? I'm not sure where the artifacts are.

Last edited:
nvidiaOCmaster said:
Tripple post FTW :beer: You should learn how to use the edit function :)

Thats a misleading picture, thats not artifacting, thats a burnt video card.

THIS is artifacting

13av4.jpg

lol yeah....too lazy to edit 2night, (i have that nfs game...how far are you? i think im on #5 on the black list and its getting really hard...) i couldnt find a good screenshot of artifacts...

Gig-O-Ram said:
I'm to the point in FEAR (interval 9) where I'm running around in the crappy old apartment building, where you have to secure the girl and her father...I think I'm getting close to the end - does anyone know how much more I have to do?

I think that is the second to last level of the game. Is that after the helicopter crash? I believe after that you move on into this science lab where you find out the truth about the story line blah blah blah...

Last edited:
hehe threadjacked.

I cant really notice anything on that NFS pic that is artifacting. could someone point it out to me? i think im blind...

/\\/3|2o said:
hehe threadjacked.

I cant really notice anything on that NFS pic that is artifacting. could someone point it out to me? i think im blind...
look at the center buildings..

Back