• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Install Xp DVD won't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-Where to hook the DVD (Jmicron black OR Blue IDE) and with which cable (CD-ROM or HDD ive heard people having success with switching cables) I've got one of my dvd's plugged into the blue one..
- Where to hook my single sata drive (i have it in red) I have my OS drive hooked into the sata 1, which I do believe is red. The black ones are for storage drives.
- the exact configuration in the Bios which will make this work. You've probably done this but here goes anyway... Boot menu>Boot device priority>atapi(or whatever your dvd comes up as) as the first device to boot up, then the hdd as second..
If this works out for you, I would put the hdd as first after you're done with installing XP.

Some bios want you to use the boot manger , Mine wont boot if i put it as the first boot option but if i Hit F11 ( that is the key for my boot manager) when it is booting it give me diff options to boot from if i pick cd this way boots from cd no prob . Give it a try

OnDborder said:
-Where to hook the DVD (Jmicron black OR Blue IDE) and with which cable (CD-ROM or HDD ive heard people having success with switching cables) I've got one of my dvd's plugged into the blue one..
- Where to hook my single sata drive (i have it in red) I have my OS drive hooked into the sata 1, which I do believe is red. The black ones are for storage drives.
- the exact configuration in the Bios which will make this work. You've probably done this but here goes anyway... Boot menu>Boot device priority>atapi(or whatever your dvd comes up as) as the first device to boot up, then the hdd as second..
If this works out for you, I would put the hdd as first after you're done with installing XP.

nope... doesnt work...

the weird thing is the first time i tried to boot Xp it did.. but the i got an error "failed to load x file"... after that ive tried just about anything and it wont work.

EDIT: Boot manager gives the same result.

I have to add that the DVD gives off a noise and it seems like it makes the CD spin, but i doast load it, i know the CD is not the problem since ive tried a bunch of different ones.

I think ill go buy an ATA DVD-ROM and try that in both the Jmicron and the Blue Intel IDE... cant hook my dvd to the Jmicron 'cause it doesnt support ATAPI devices...

Last edited:
Really. Go buy/borrow another cd/dvd drive before it eats your XP disk. It's probably cheaper.
In my case, I use the blue IDE port for one dvd burner and use one of those IDE/SATA adapters on the other dvd burner. Then plug into a red sata.

i have the OTHER board, not this one. and was going to use the JMICRO raid, and played with changing the settings on the Jmicro.
the Jmicro controller would ONLY recognise my 80pin ide apti type dvd if it was set for and installed as IDE. everytime i took it off IDE, even after changing the device driver set for it, it would not function.
Figure you already tried that, but it must be set for IDE in the bios. when i used "advanced" or Raid, it completly disabled the thing :-(
so much for putting the raid on that side. but putting the raid on the INTEL side was much better anyways.

Back