• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp increases after Scythe Mine fan swap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loque

Reviews of the Scythe Mine at quiet computing sites showed lower temps after swapping the stock fan out for the low noise Nexus 120mm. I am thinking then I must have messed up my swap unless someone has other ideas.

I did the fan switch for a variety of reasons but was lazy and did it with the Mine still installed. After some cut up knuckles and considerable cursing I got the Scythe fan out and Nexus replacement in fairly tight. As a result, temps are up a fair bit (core temps up 6+ degrees C, motherboard socket temps 3-4C or so).

Is it likely I did something wrong? Could I have dislodged the heatsink on the cpu and therefore need to reinstall with new thermal paste? Could I have over/under-tightened the Mine fan screws causing some other problem?

You probably bumped the HS screwing up the seating. Take it out and clean the TIM off and reset it with new TIM.

That should have been considered when purchasing the HSF... If that is what has happened and it will need reseating... There are no 2 ways about it...

Vengance_01 said:
You know how much of a pain in the @$$ that is if he is using the LGA 755 mounting. Did you mount it in the center?

Mount the fan in the center? Yes I did.

As for bumping the heatsink, I definitely did bump and put pressure on the HS here and there while unscrewing and retightening the fan screws. I guess I just hoped that this would not unseat or alter the seal of the HS on the CPU. :bang head

I suppose it's time to reapply TIM, ugh. I think with the Mine this can be done without removing the motherboard but it's a PITA releasing and reinserting the one heatsink pin nearest the power supply.

Back