• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Att Dsl 6.0mb DL vs Charter Cable 5 mb DL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X0d1@k

Ok which is faster overall? I know that the ATT has a higher DL speed, but is the upload considered into the whole surfing the internet speed and what not? Right now, Charter has up to 512kb upload, not sure about ATT. Anyone done a comparison? The reason i ask is because i live on the net, and I need speed.

I am running Verizon DSL because even though its only 3Mb vs Cables 5Mb... I send a lot of large files.

768Kb upload speed vs 256Kb upload is a HUGE differnce, where as 3-5Mb is not as big (both are fast)

If you are doing a lot of cam/voip stuff.. go wit hthe higher Upload speed or whatever is cheaper.

Oh but for online gaming... Cable is better (lower latencies)

Great book by the way, Neuromancer by William Gibson. Ok, i was just shown the speed of the upload for att is freaking 712kb compared to charters 512kb. DAMN! Im tempted now to get DSL again. Up until today, i swore by cable modems, now i will swear at them.

I would think that the DSL will have at least a 256Kb/s upload, if not better. Upload will make a difference when doing p2p, but not as much for just regular web browsing. I would go with AT&T if they guarantee that speed. If they say you get what you get, then Charter may be a bit better of a choice. The problem with DSL is that the farther from the CO, the slower the speeds.

X0d1@k said:
Ok which is faster overall? I know that the ATT has a higher DL speed, but is the upload considered into the whole surfing the internet speed and what not? Right now, Charter has up to 512kb upload, not sure about ATT. Anyone done a comparison? The reason i ask is because i live on the net, and I need speed.

I have 6MB AT&T/SBC DSL and it is great. my Down speed is at 640kps (or about 5.1Mb) and I never have any issues with the speed not being that high (like high usage times or anything), but I guess that could be because i don't live in a large, heavily populated city. I live in a smaller-ish town of i would guess 10,000 or so (don't really know)

Upload I get a consistant ~82kps upload (or about 660k)

I live about an hour and a half south of Chicago, and if I play on a game server located around chicago I usually get pings no higher than 30ms and most of the time in the 10's! any other servers in the US I usually get around 40-60ms ...so I'd say that is pretty decent, especially for only $27 a month!

Around here I can get Comcast Cable and it's 6MB (and they have an 8MB available also) and the upload is somewhere around 512 or 608 or so (which is what mine is acually rated for) but the price is much higher. Right now they are advertising a deal where you can get basic cable, 6MB Internet, and unlimited VOIP for $33 each a month. So for $100 you get all that. BUt if you want just internet, then you are paying like $55 a month for 6MB

IMO DSL is a way better deal, at least in my area.

bchur83 said:
I would think that the DSL will have at least a 256Kb/s upload, if not better. Upload will make a difference when doing p2p, but not as much for just regular web browsing. I would go with AT&T if they guarantee that speed. If they say you get what you get, then Charter may be a bit better of a choice. The problem with DSL is that the farther from the CO, the slower the speeds.

The way that AT&T guarantees speeds with the elite package (6Mb) is to advertise is like this:

IP Address: 1 Dynamic
Downstream Speed: 3.0 to 6.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed: 384 to 608 Kbps

So at a minimum you will be getting only 3.0 and 384, which is still just fine for gaming. And depending on where you live in relation to the phone companies office you may get higher speeds, as I do. (I live a little less than a mile from it)

Plus too, Charter (at least here) charges extra for those that want internet without the cable tv (you "live on the net", so no tv for you eh?).
My bud was paying near $55/mo for 5M service.

BTW, where's the bathroom in this place? :D

Very true bro, although I have been watching movies in the background sometimes, listening to them more than anything. Nothing like listening to Full Metal Jacket while looking at the forums.....

Back