• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG GeForce 7600 GS 512MB AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rx7racer01

hey guys i just bought a 7600 gs agp from tiger cause my girl wanted a new vid card so i got a new one, i am currently running a xfx 6800 128 agp with pipes unlocked and now i am questioning myself about spending 150 bucks on this 7600 cause it sounds like it runs the same as a 6600 gt if so should i keep my 6800 or use the 7600 cause of the new features and support. yea i know it was ignorant but it was a split minute desicion did i really screw up or what, please somebody that has a 7600 gs 512 agp tell me its not as crappy as a 6600 gt. thanx in advance

I'd sell it and get a 7600gt. They're a good bit faster than the 6600gt, and you can find them for $125 after rebate, or ~$150 before rebate. It'll definitely be faster than the GS.

yea i know the gt has a 256 bit bus vs 128 bit but i couldn't find any with 512 ram and i was hopeing that if i threw a zalmon fan heatsink combo i could overclock and atleast match a gt or no the 7 series is that could untill you get to a 7800, cause my 6800 with pipes and all unlocked i still haven't had any thing it couldn't do includeing bf2 and hl2 and graw

i'll have to look and see about a 7600 gt now, i think i might wait till i receive the 7600 gs and see what benches i can get and how far i can push it if nothing else it can be a pos trophy hahaha, anybody have one or everybody stay clear of them i couldn't really find out a whole lot about them from my searches

i guess 7600 wasn't a good idea but atleast i will be able to post some stats just in case others have questions about the 7600 gs, thanx for your opinion i have deff. learned to do more research though, which i should already know lol

512mb of ram are useless on a 7600GT, plus they are sometimes actually slower (mem speed) than 256mb models

Mavyrik - There's a 7600GT AGP made by Leadtek, probably what he's talking about. It's about $175 last I knew, quite the premium for being AGP :( Like all 7600s it has a 128-bit memory bus but GTs have much faster DDR3 memory versus the typical GS with DDR.

An unlocked 6800 like the OP has should be similar-ish to a 7600GT, depending on how far it can clock. Also don't put TOO much stock into memory amount, speed and memory bandwidth are important too and the 6800 should have more memory bandwidth. So, can you oc your 6800 decently? If so you won't see a big leap going with a 7600GT unless some programs run borderline already they might move up to 'just acceptable', probably better to save your money.

i still think well no hold on i know that my 7600gs whoops the **** out of my 6600gt as for an upgrade i dont know if it would be any... but i still think the newer 7 serises would prolly be better to some extent... btw the 7600gs's are ddr2 ( or at least the pcie ones are ) check out my sig for benchies

Ah I guess it was only some certain models I'd read about that had DDR.

The OP has an unlocked 6800 which can be competitive with a 7600GT if it overclocks to 6800GT to 6800Ultra speeds because an unlocked one is the same as those cards. The 7600s might be a touch better in some very new games or with eyecandy turned on but usually in those cases neither card will be great. That's why I asked what it clocks to :) if it can do that then he'd be better off saving some money rather than putting it into a new AGP card.

Your not going to have much luck with the 512MB GS. the 7600GT doesnt have the power to fully utilize the 512MB. With the 128 bit memory interface and DDR2 memory, it will choke up and be serious bottlnecked. Unless you plan to use it for like Windows Vista's Aero feature or high resolution textures that consume a lot of memory, there is no point for the extra 256Mb of ram.

Back