• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC'ing D930 on P5W DH Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mickey79

Registered
Ave,

Full System Specs:
ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (BIOS 1407); Intel Pentium D 930;
AC Freezer 7 Pro; 80mm Rear Exhaust; 2 X 80mm Side & Front Intake;
PQI-Turbo 2GB (2 X 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2-5400) Aluminium-Copper Heatsink;
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache;
Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 128MB GDDR3 PCI-E x16;
Rosewill 550W Crossfire-SATA Ready Dual Fan;
Pioneer DVR-111D; Optorite DVD-RW;

I'm wanting to have my first go at Overclocking. I know a little bit about OC'ing, but not too much.

I do realize i have to raise the CPU Frequency in small increments, like 10, and also raise the DRAM Frequency. But i don't know what's the balance between the two that i need to consider.
If i raise my DRAM Frequence to DDR2-800Mhz... i'm able to boot into the computer and it's stable. If i raise my CPU Frequence very high, with DRAM at DDR2-800, the system becomes unstable.

What kind of balance should i have between the DRAM & CPU... and how high should i really go with DRAM in order to have maximum CPU?

Need advice. Thanks.

well.. whats your FSB? im guessing its 200
so

200 * 15 = 3.0 ghz

so to get DDR-800 you need to multiply your FSB by 4 to get 800.

so if you up your FSB to say... 230. then 230 * 4 = 920. now.. i don't think your ram can go that fast. so just drop the ram down to the next lowest setting. so, maybe its 230 *3 = 690. which is better. or maybe 230 * 3.5 = 805.

i always do this. keep upping the CPU, if it becomes unstable, lower the ram multiplier. if its still unstable, put some more voltage through it untill it is. then put the ram back up to speed and test again.

(you could do it in a diffrent order such as, up the cpu, then up the voltage, then drop the ram. your choice)

and don't forget.

the more different combinations you try. the better your overclock can be.

Thanks for the post... very informative!

Question... from where are you getting the "15" or the "4".
You wrote "200 * 15 = 3.0 ghz".
200 is my CPU FSB, and indeed my system is running at 3.0 GHz, but where in BIOS do you find that "15" setting? Or is it math which gives us that number?

In my BIOS, i'm able to set the DRAM Frequency in various increments like DDR2-400, 533, 600, 667, 800.

Where is the multiplier by which i'm multiplying my FSB?

Thanks!

darkcow said:
well.. whats your FSB? im guessing its 200
so

200 * 15 = 3.0 ghz

so to get DDR-800 you need to multiply your FSB by 4 to get 800.

so if you up your FSB to say... 230. then 230 * 4 = 920. now.. i don't think your ram can go that fast. so just drop the ram down to the next lowest setting. so, maybe its 230 *3 = 690. which is better. or maybe 230 * 3.5 = 805.

i always do this. keep upping the CPU, if it becomes unstable, lower the ram multiplier. if its still unstable, put some more voltage through it untill it is. then put the ram back up to speed and test again.

(you could do it in a diffrent order such as, up the cpu, then up the voltage, then drop the ram. your choice)

and don't forget.

the more different combinations you try. the better your overclock can be.

The 15 he is referring to is the multiplier, in this case it is locked. The only Intel processors that have unlocked multipliers that you can change in BIOS are Extreme Editions like mine.

And when you set the RAM to a certain speed I think that your mobo figures out the RAM multiplier for you.

Arca_ex said:
The 15 he is referring to is the multiplier, in this case it is locked. The only Intel processors that have unlocked multipliers that you can change in BIOS are Extreme Editions like mine.

And when you set the RAM to a certain speed I think that your mobo figures out the RAM multiplier for you.

yea, he is right, every FSB change you make, times it by 15, and you'll get your CPU speed.

and yea, those are the settings inside your bios for ram speed. just choose one thats stable but still the fastest possible. i would just put it at ddr 667 for now, your ram should easily go that fast. and as you get better, you might be able to get it to run at ddr800.

don't forget about voltages when oc'ing.

but also don't forget to check temperatures often. i wouldn't go above 65c on load.

Hey, I dont want to thread crap or anything, but is that PSU going to be able to handle the overclocked powerdraw from that cpu?

He has some pretty expensive components there.... would suck to loose them, ya know?

i think he should be fine. i wouldn't be worried about it, much.

but yea, if you have 150 dollars to spare. get a new PSU. and then try to sell that one to a friend with a less powerfull computer

Ave,

Thanks folks! Gained a lot of info. That multiplier was confusing me because i was searching high & low in my BIOS for it and not finding it, now i know why.

I'll set my DRAM to DDR2-667 and start OC'ing the CPU in 5 - 10 increments to see where i can go.

How high do you recommend the Voltages (CPU & RAM) to remain in safe territory?

Once i hit a wall with CPU at DDR2-667, i'll see if i can raise to DDR2-800 and raise DRAM Voltage to 2.2 ... and see what happens.

As for PSU, i should be ok... i have a few friends with the same PSU and all have had great experience with it. At some point i'll shell out the extra stash for a better PSU, but for now i think it's ok.

Thanks!

Back