• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1.4GHz C CPU - No POST

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

letmecheck_nope

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I purchased an AMD 1.4GHz CPU from a vendor on the 'net. What I thought I purchased was an AMD 1.4GHz 200FSB CPU (It was to go into an ABIT KT7-RAID Motherboard). I put this CPU into the board and strapped on a CoolerMaster DP5-6I11 CPU Fan, powered up, and -- nothing. So, I put back in my 800MHz Athlon, booted up, went to the www.abit-usa.com website and checked out the BIOS updates and what not. I downloaded the newest update, and also noticed that ABIT says the board will only support 1.4GHz CPU's with L1 bridges disconnected. Looking at the bridges, they are all *connected*.....so, I proceed to flash the BIOS and remove the old CPU, and then started to scrape away the L1 bridges. Half an hour later, after scratching like crazy with an awl, these bridges were still not disconnecting. Getting frustrated, I glanced at the core of the CPU: AMD Part # A1400AMS3C & AYHJA0130MPM -- isn't this the designation for the 266FSB CPU? So, I purchased an ECS K7S5A, put the CPU in that, and - nothing. Now, I have a CPU that the vendor won't take back (for obvious reasons) and one that doesn't work. My question is: Could I have damaged something in the CPU itself from all the scratching? There really isn't any gouges in the CPU and all the L1 bridges are still intact. Does anyone have an idea on whether or not this CPU will ever boot, or what I can try to get it working? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks again.

Dave

That's quite a quandary you've got there. Where did you get the chip from? I find it very unlikely that you killed anything by scraping away at the L1 bridges, but they certainly won't want back a scraped up CPU.
I checked on abit's website, and they had a couple of BIOS flashes that were more recent than the one you mentioned and that made no mention of the L1 bridges. Why didn't/don't you try those.
Good luck and...
Welcome to the forum!!!

BAD!!!
Is there an 10/133 jumper on yer board if so try setting this different to see if it really is a 266 cpu!
Try the bios pdate, also TRY THE CPU IN ANOTHER SYSTEM!!

Tried in a DFI AM75-TC with jumper set to 266FSB - no POST. Tried in MSI K7T Pro Turbo 2 - same results. Could I have possibly connected the L1 bridges across each other through scratching the surface? I should also note that there is no core damage, either chipped off or burned off - still blue around the edges. Is there a good way to 'sand off' the ceramic surface? What grit sandpaper would someone recommend? Thanks for everyone's help,

Dave

Back