• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

San Diego 3700+ (BN) vs. Opty 148...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnny*

About to pull the trigger on one of these for a low budget upgrade (coupled w/ an ASRock 939-Dual-VSTA) :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103596

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80719-5

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether the Opty is worth the extra $17 (also Newegg vs. ZZf factor, haven't purchased from ZZF before...). My understanding is that it's the same core, but the Opteron is on "better" silicon. I'd love to hit 3Ghz or so (probably unrealistic), and was just wondering if I'd have a better chance with the 148.

Thanks.

I like ZZF.. it seems They take longer to ship then newegg... but the free 2 day delivery makes up for it :)

(oops 2 day is 2 dollar for that CPU seems everything I bought from them had free 2 day :S)

Buddy of mine LOVES his 3700 Sandy. (2.8 stable nearly stock v) And IIRC later opterons werent as OCable as the early mods... dont quote me though.

Might not be worth upgrading though for a POSSIBLE 400 MHz?

Just on the face of it I'd opt for the opty. Got lucky with a few of these 148 and 146 with reachin 3GHZ stable. They seem to overclock farther than other chips of the same relative stock speed. That being said all overclocks will be limited by luck of the draw unless you find a proven overlocker or at least a chance to pick your stepping. Personally I'd look for a used opty if possible. Seen and have for sale myself 146's in the 100.00 range 148 with good stepping and history of overclocking well probably be 100-125.00.

Neur0mancer said:
Might not be worth upgrading though for a POSSIBLE 400 MHz?

Well, my Clawhammer is dying on me (won't run as fast as it used to, having to crank up vcore to get it to hit even 2.4Ghz) and I figure I'll get a good boost in memory performance moving to dual channel (these sticks can do ~268 3-4-4-8, my clawhammer doesn't like high FSB though =/) in addition to the higher CPU performance.

I guess I'll just go w/ the Opty, as I haven't seen any compelling evidence in either direction...

Back