• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Motherboard IRQ conflicts A8V-VM - HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chris34

Hi there wonder if anyone can help me?

I am having trouble trying to get my new motherboard asus A8V-VM with integrated graphics to see a pci-e graphics card. From what i have already gathered it is due to an IRQ conflict. Windows xp sp2 does not see the card at all ,nor is there any graphics output from boot up(on the PCIE device).

This is what the manual states.

Standard interrupt assignments
IRQ Priority Standard Function
0 1 System Timer
1 2 Keyboard Controller
2 - Programmable interrupt
3 11 Communications Port (COM )*
4 12 -
5 13 IRQ holder for PCI steering*
6 14 Floppy Disk Controller
7 15 Printer Port (LPT1)*
8 3 System CMOS/Real Time Clock
9 4 IRQ holder for PCI steering*
10 5 MIDI port*
11 6 IRQ holder for PCI steering*
12 7 PS/ Compatible Mouse Port*
13 8 Numeric Data Processor
14 9 Primary IDE Channel
15 10 Secondary IDE Channel

* These IRQs are usually available for ISA or PCI devices.

IRQ assignments for this motherboard
When using PCI cards on shared slots, ensure that the drivers support
“Share IRQ” or that the cards do not need IRQ assignments; otherwise,
conflicts will arise between the two PCI groups, making the system
unstable and the card inoperable.

PCI slot 1 shared
PCI slot — shared
PCI Express x16 slot — — — — — — shared
PCI Express x1 slot 1 — — — — — — — shared
Onboard USB controller 0 shared
Onboard USB controller 1 — — shared
Onboard USB controller — shared
Onboard USB controller 3 — — — shared
Onboard EHCI controller — — shared
Onboard SATA Controller — shared
Onboard Audio Controller — shared
Onboard LAN shared
Integrated graphics shared

Primary graphics adapter is PCIE VGA in the bios.

As you can see i will be using a pci card on a shared slot so is there any way which i can configure this in the BIOS as to not get a conflict.

In the bios setup(advanced PCI/PnP) the channels 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,14,15 are all assigned to PCI devices.The other option is 'reserved'

Plug and play o/s is 'YES;
Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA is 'YES'
Pallete snooping is 'enabled'
PCI latency timer is '64'

As you can see the asterix items in the menu above do not match up totally with the IRQ assigned channels.Is this causing me problems?

Hope someone can offer me help this is really causing me a headache.

Regards Chris.

Just at a glance, I've got a few things different then you. I dont have the same board mind you. But the settings should still be defualt in most. I'll look when I get home.

Hmm, odd. There should be a setting in the bios like " Disable onboard video" or something to that effect. Also the settings for IRQ's should be set to AUTO, not manual onless you want to manually assign an IRQ to each device ( which will be a tideous task to say the least)

See if you can disable the onboard video first. Once the onboard video has been disabled, then it will enable the PCIE slot. Hope this helps some.

Btw Welcome to O/C Forums! :welcome:

I have what I think is an identical problem with the same board (A8v-VM). I have allready been through the process of returning my board and getting a replacement (after thinking their was a faulty PCI-E slot). Just to find I've got the same problem again with the replacement.

The card I'm using is an ATI x550 Iv'e tested it in a friends pc so know that is not the problem. The onboard graphics work just fine but I cant get any output out of the x550, even on the POST and BIOS screens their is still no output.

One thing I have noticed though is when the card is pluged into the board their is a longer wait before the ASUS logo screen is shown during this time I can also hear 8 bursts of rapid clicks commign from the pc speaker. I've search for the meaining of the clicks but found nothing. When the graphics card is taken out of the motherboard none of this happens.

I know this isn't much help on solving the problem but thought you might like to know your not alone.

Back