• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thumbdrive RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
I had a wicked idea here the other day at work. However, I'm unsure as to if it will be good or not.

I was thinking, for no reason other than to see if it would work, to get a packet of cheapy 32mb Thumbdrives, attach them to a usb hub, hub to pc, and then RAID the thumbdrives.

Is this feasible? Or just a geek-gasm?

bchur83 said:
You could do a SoftRAID with Dynamic Disks in Windows. Not sure what kind of performance you will get, but it wouldnt hurt to see.

Hmm... that's a possibility... and since i have plenty of free usb2 slots.... hmm... this could be potentially a uber-geeky thing to do!

ur gonna have to use some other software raid becides windows disk management because it wont allow it with USB devices ... already tried this about a yr ago on my windows sevrer 2003 system. :beer: some guy did it with come ipod shuffles and a mac.....

it would be pretty intresting tho.... i wonder if i could do it through my actual hardware raid... i think it recognizes my usb drive as a NON raid disk.

Shouldn't be too hard on linux (probably the same with mac), windows who knows. An interesting idea with gigabit ethernet would be to make a RAID array of ramdisks on a network. (Yes there are more stable solutions like database clusters, etc.) If you used RAID5 you could reboot one computer at a time safely. Power failures would be nasty though.

Jared555 said:
Shouldn't be too hard on linux (probably the same with mac), windows who knows. An interesting idea with gigabit ethernet would be to make a RAID array of ramdisks on a network. (Yes there are more stable solutions like database clusters, etc.) If you used RAID5 you could reboot one computer at a time safely. Power failures would be nasty though.

I think i could test the Raid of Ramdisks over a network. Lemme talk with my brothers this weekend and see what we can come up with.

Back