• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(89w) 4400+ X2 Temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twodaend

Registered
I just upgraded to the ADV 4400+ X2 from the 3400+ (limited 939 version) and my temp is reading 50c. I thought that may be a bit hot just for idle temps. I replaced the stock thermal pad with AS5 and applied a rice grain size to the middle of the chip. I haven't tried to overclock yet because I thought my temps where high, besides, this will be my first attempt at overclocking.

Is this normal? I have the CCBIE 0610DPMW on at Abit AV8 board. I was using the Avit Guru to read the temp.

Whats the ambient room temps? 50c seems high to me for idling as well. from my experience with abit and amd it could be the board reading the temp wrong. if youve reseated the heat sink and its still showing high it could be a poor ihs contact with the cores or the board being weird (I've seen a few abit boards show high temps before)

Should I clean the heatsink and chip and reapply AS5? The room temp is about 75-78 degrees. What is the average temp for this chip when idle? I'm not using the latest BIOS, so maybe I'll upgrade and see if that makes a difference.

Is there a better app for reading temps or is the Abit Guru good enough?

twodaend said:
I just upgraded to the ADV 4400+ X2 from the 3400+ (limited 939 version) and my temp is reading 50c. I thought that may be a bit hot just for idle temps. I replaced the stock thermal pad with AS5 and applied a rice grain size to the middle of the chip. I haven't tried to overclock yet because I thought my temps where high, besides, this will be my first attempt at overclocking.

Is this normal? I have the CCBIE 0610DPMW on at Abit AV8 board. I was using the Avit Guru to read the temp.
Its not that high for an 89W version. Mine ran around 45 degrees Celsius on boot.I also am water-cooling , and it looks like your using air...thats probably why your temps are a little higher than mine. I overclocked the chip, and it was running at 80 degees Celsius, but was still stable.I decreased the overclock, and temps lowered, but still are in the high 60's.

twodaend said:
Is there a better app for reading temps or is the Abit Guru good enough?

Just look at the POST screen for the CPU temps on bootup.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
Its not that high for an 89W version. Mine ran around 45 degrees Celsius on boot.I also am water-cooling , and it looks like your using air...thats probably why your temps are a little higher than mine. I overclocked the chip, and it was running at 80 degees Celsius, but was still stable.I decreased the overclock, and temps lowered, but still are in the high 60's.

Just look at the POST screen for the CPU temps on bootup.

45 deg Stock ? No oc ? and @ idle @ that wow , on air i got ~34 ish idle and on water im @ ~ 28 idle

50c at idle does not sound correct. At stock voltage with the stock cooler mine was idling in the mid-30s. With the better air cooling I have right now the idle temp usually hangs around low 30s, maybe high 20s at stock voltage.

Of course, I try to keep my computers folding 24/7 so idle temps mean little to me. :beer:

Last edited:
You should remove the stock thermal grease, lap the heatsink and apply AS5.
I think there is a sticky on how to lap heatsink.
I have a good method of applying AS5. I spread a thin film on both heatsink and cpu first. does not need to be smooth or even. Then I use my thumb and finger print all over the surface to an even layer of thumb prints. I do this to both cpu and heatsink surface. This method has worked great evenly spreading the thermal grease. wash hands thoroughly afterward. this stuff can make you sick if swallowed.
Oh also make sure that your CPU is Idle both cores. sometimes if the winxp is corrupted an application is hanging and cpu is in use without you knowing it. task manager will show cpu usage.ctrl-alt-delete keys will open "windows task manager" to check cpu usage.

Last edited:
Well I tried Core Temp and it reports temps as being 38c for Core1 and 36c for Core2. Abit Guru is reporting only 1 tempeture of 45c. Is this usually the case in which there is a bit temp difference. Which one should I go by?

I did not change anything, I just came home and checked the temp and that is what each app said.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:

GASP

80 DEGREES?! Mid 60's!!! AMD's arnt supposed to be running that hot, and your probably killing the life of your CPU. My MAX temp. for an A64 is 52c. I suggest better cooling or dropping your OC a bit

That is the thing, I haven't OC it yet, I just put it in yesterday and left everything at default. But the temp has gone down since yesterday.

Back