• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

streaming tv(dvr-625 dish) to laptop questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimmy

I am looking to stream the signal from my dishnetwork dvr-625 to my wifes laptop wirelessly. What would be the best method of doing this. Tvtuner cards, programs or just shell out $179 for a slingbox? It would be nice to control the dvr with the laptop, but not needed.

You can't stream live video wirelessly, there's just not enough bandwidth to transmit live video.
It would have to be recorded then played back with the host machine on a wired network and the client machine reading from wireless G using software with a decent read buffer. I get the best performance by using PowerDVD or something similar to playback high-quality MPEG2 video files directly over the network from a wireless client. I have yet to see any live TV network transmission options that work at all. You'd have to look into analog signal transmission then get an external tuner card for the laptop.

Last edited:
Back