• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 of 3 partitions freezes at root in explorer? (aka I need advice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grumperfish

So I have a 250gb Seagate (sataI) drive with 3 partitions, none of which is a system partition. For all intents and purposes it seems to be working fine, with all installed programs running normally and there's no restrictions on installing new software. However, if I try to access the drive in explorer/my computer the window freezes instantly. The odd thing is that other explorer windows and anything else running at the time are completely unnaffected when it freezes. I can browse the other 2 partitions without a problem.

I have AVI preview disabled and the only file in the partition's (G: ) root is a pagefile. I've tried just about everything I can think of including reinstalling codecs and removing context menus but without result. At first I thought the shared files extensions for my LAN could be causing the issue but if that were the case then the other partitions and drives would probably be affected.

Seagate's Seatools has come back negative for errors and Everest ult. is saying the SMART status on the drive is a-ok. So basically I'm totally out of ideas and as google hasn't been too helpful I figured I'd ask around here for some help :-/

Evidently after some trial and error the stalls/freezes only happened when accessing two old (backups from old system) folders in the root of the drive. Once I booted into a Bart-PE disc and moved them to a CD-r all was well once again. Still not sure what happened however.

Back