• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scythe Infinity vs. Ninja vs. Mine vs. Ultra 120. Max OC help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dak125

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm using the stock heatsink as of now and it's holding the temps to a respectable 55-56 while playing BF2 @ 2.3 ghz. I'm looking for the lowest temps, the least amount of noise, and the best future uhh proofedness :). Out of these, which would you recommend? Also, which fan would you recommend?

If you have another suggestion please post it. Thanks!

System specs:
E6300
Gigabyte DS3
eVga 7900 GTO

dak125 said:
Hey guys,

I'm using the stock heatsink as of now and it's holding the temps to a respectable 55-56 while playing BF2 @ 2.3 ghz. I'm looking for the lowest temps, the least amount of noise, and the best future uhh proofedness :). Out of these, which would you recommend? Also, which fan would you recommend?

If you have another suggestion please post it. Thanks!

System specs:
E6300
Gigabyte DS3
eVga 7900 GTO

Ninja cools the best hands down. My brother is running the Mine on his 4400+ and hits about 35c full load on a cool day. Most of all it is LIGHT. IMHO the Mine is your best choice.

forget about the mine. the infinity in my opinion is far too heavy and doesn't yield particularly impressive results.
you can't go wrong with the ninja, and probably the ultra-120 will perform comparably. spcr reviewed the ultra-120 and found it to narrowly beat out the ninja for noise/performance. the ninja is designed for low speed fans and won't improve performance with higher cfm, while the ultra-120 should work good with low speed fans and get better with more powerful fans.

kovboi said:
forget about the mine. the infinity in my opinion is far too heavy and doesn't yield particularly impressive results.
you can't go wrong with the ninja, and probably the ultra-120 will perform comparably. spcr reviewed the ultra-120 and found it to narrowly beat out the ninja for noise/performance. the ninja is designed for low speed fans and won't improve performance with higher cfm, while the ultra-120 should work good with low speed fans and get better with more powerful fans.

• 815g with Fan Ninja... That thing is heavy.
  • 745 Thermalright Ultra 120 Still heavy, add probably another 150 for a fan. And is more expensive than the Mine and add another 10 or so for a good quiet fan.
  • 560g Mine with fan.

http://www.hartware.de/review_577_7.html
It's in German, but the temperature difference is nominal if you're not OCing. And if you have food airflow in your case it's even better.

The Mine is your best choice.

Last edited:
WonderingSoul said:
the temperature difference is nominal if you're not OCing.
he is - see the original post. i just haven't seen that many good user reviews for either the mine or the infinity.
of course, the one that's not being mentioned is the tuniq tower, though they are nigh to impossible to find these days.

Thanks for the responses. I'm getting lots of conflicting responses. Any other comments?

OK, who CARES how heacy the heatsink is, we want performance here!! I doubt he cares about how heavy the cooler is vs. the performance it puts out. In a way, you know the cooler is good BECAUSE it is heavy.

well the truth regarding temps is that any of these will be within a few degrees of the other - in other words, there's no obvious knock out as they are all pretty decent. as for silence, this mostly depends on the fan you put on it. you can help narrow your options by considering the type and direction of air flow that you need in your case. the ninja is probably the most versatile in this regard since you can mount a fan on any side.

Ultra 120 is the best for all out performance...but as for low noise, I wouldn't know which is the best for that. If you're willing to accept a bit more noise (airflow noise, not buzzing and such), you could get an Ultra 120 with a bigger fan.

Thanks for all the responses.

I probably should have mentioned that I have a Thermaltake Tsunami case, I don't even know if the Infinity will fit in this thing. Would any of the other options have fitment issues?

I'm leaning towards the Mine mainly because of the weight. Anyone disagree?

dak125 said:
I'm leaning towards the Mine mainly because of the weight. Anyone disagree?

Well I read a review that the Infinity cooled better than the Mine by 1 degree Celcius. The Mine isn't a bad cooler and would be the better choice, since it is cheaper and lighter. The Ninja isn't a bad choice, and if you can get the Ninja then I would say get the Ninja.

Oh and BTW, the Thermalright Ultra 120 cools better than the Infinity.

You really shoudln't worry about the weight. The TT 120's wight is mostly at its base, which isnt going to hurt the mobo. It's the weight furthest away from the mobo that will do damage.

Back