• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU...don't worry, it's specific ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

Didn't really realize how generically nub the Q was until a minute ago. SRY :)

I recently downgraded from a 4400 x2 @ 2.7 to an Opty 165 in hopes that the Opty would outclock the 4400 for cheaper. It did not however, as the BUS on my mobo, which says it goes to 400, started to give me problems at around 290-300. 9x multi on the Opty certainly killed me there, needless to say.

My question are: one, is there a way to bypass this problem and use the BUS speeds over 300 on my mobo?; two, should I go back to the 4400?; and three, what kind of performance difference would I see between the dual-core 165 and 4400 @ 2.6-2.8ish and the FX series single-cores if I got one of them over 3ghz?

thanks

I would try to use software overlocking (carefully), with something like Clockgen before you totally give up on it.

I ran an Opty 146 at 3gHz and I can't tell the difference between that and my Opty 165 at 2.7gHz. I would either go get a DFI Ultra-D or Asus A8N32 and push that Opty further or go back to a higher multi dual core. Don't downgrade to single core, especially when games like Crysis and UT2007 are going to take advantage of the dual cores.

try a diffrent bios. just keep on doing **** to it, and see if you can bump up your FSB.

what i've done before is just get any old fan (one that you would probably have in your room) or just a normal computer fan. and put it as close to the NB as possible and see what happens.

is the NB overheating and that's why FSB can't increase? I think I have an 80 or 100mm fan in my basement I can use to cool it if so.

ninjacore said:
is the NB overheating and that's why FSB can't increase? I think I have an 80 or 100mm fan in my basement I can use to cool it if so.
I would check around and see what most other ppl are fidning is their wall fsb wise witht that MB, Deff dont go back to a single core , If you have the 4400+ still i would use that .

What is your HTT Multi (I think that is what it is called) set at? You most likely have already checked this but it could be too high. Also what stepping is the 165?

Back