• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

easy boot question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ursine3000

I removed Vista but everytime I start my computer the boot menu still comes up defaulting to Vista so I have to wait around and manually select XP, how can I change this?

Edit C:\boot.ini (it's hidden...goto run and type 'notepad C:\boot.ini')..shoudl be the entire last entry.

My boot file in XP is set up properly its my Vista one or lack there of, which is the problem. I need to edit the one in vista without using the BCDEDIT.exe program which I no longer have.

Open Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | "View" tab | Enable "Show hidden files and folders", and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" | Look in your root directory for a Boot folder and bootmgr file, and if present delete them both... then reboot.

I agree...used the boot.ini method several times myself. Also available via msconfig.exe if you can't find it.

Back