• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe in the bat computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Well, I'm fashionable late to the party, but I'm finally here!

Got my new components installed that I had for 1-1/2 weeks, but vacation got in the way.

Here is my new stuff that I installed in my existing watercooled system.

Intel Conroe E6600, stepping 6 revision B2, week 27.

Abit AW9D-Max motherboard (needs BIOS updated).

2X1GB Mushkin Xtreme Performance DDR2-800 RAM.

I achieved my personal goal of a stable 400 FSB. Here is a screenshot.

E6400+3600+CPU-Z.JPG

Sweet. Welcome to the club.

How many volts?

And lucky getting a week 27 chip.

Awesome batboy. I was wondering when your were going to join the party? On water you should have 3.8 in that chip. Keep pushing brother! Also, what CPU options do you have enabled/disabled in the bios?

Dom

I flashed to BIOS 1.2 now.

Super Pi 1M resulted in 14 seconds.

I'm running 1.5v actual to be stable at 400 FSB (3.6 gig). The BIOS vcore setting is a little higher since the AW9D undervolts a bit.

I originally had all the CPU options disabled. But, I just enabled EIST and speedstep, so I can try lowering the multiplier to 7X to see what max FSB is on this rig.

Very nice. There is a differential of ~1s on the superpi between Conroe and Allendale when the system bus and frequencies are the same.

Welcome to the club. :bday:

Using the 7X multiplier, I started having stability trouble between 425 and 430 FSB. I played around with MCH and RAM voltages a bit, but then gave up. Was kind of disappointed since I've seen some folks at XS hitting 450 FSB. After I switched back to the 9X multiplier again, I suddenly realized I was still using 4-4-4-10 RAM timings. So, maybe with relaxed timings it would of done better. I'll try again later maybe.

Well, since Dominick seemed to think 3.8 gig was within reach, that was my next project. But, I had trouble in that regard too. With high vcore, I could do a little above 3.7 gig stable, but ran into problems trying to hit 3.8 gig. After I dropped back to a more reasonable clock. I remembered that the CPU settings were still enabled (EIST etc.). I'll have to try again later with those disabled.

Right now, I dropped back to 3.4 gig. Using the 4:5 memory ratio and 4-4-4-10 timings, I can run at lots lower voltage and it will still do Super Pi at 15 seconds. That's only 1 second less than at 3.6 gig. Think maybe I found my "everyday" long term setting.

Nice work so far Batboy. Relax those ram timings and disable all CPU settings in the bios (C1E, Speedstep, etc.). That should get you started somewhat. Check back in with a 3.8 validation. If its still not achievable I would suggest checking for proper contact on the chipset sink and re-applying some paste and/or adding a chipset cooler. The Thermalright HR-5 got me 6 more FSB on my P5B-Deluxe. Also, try increasing Southbridge voltage, this was the only thing that allowed me to clock higher than 490 FSB for some strange reason. Immediately after bumping up SB voltage to max I went from 485 to 500 no problem. And 505 was attained with the NB cooler.

Dom

Both my week 27 E6600's scaled very well with vcore, you should try higher vcore for a few benches.
Whats the pack date? 8/11?

Epox4life said:
Both my week 27 E6600's scaled very well with vcore, you should try higher vcore for a few benches.
Whats the pack date? 8/11?

Scaled well? Your 6600's craved voltage like a drug... lol

With a 7x multi I think you'd run into the Northbridge overclocking strap issue. Was the instability with 425+FSB at 7x or 9x multi? Maybe try 9x420+

Also I'd think that Ram could do under DDR2-900MHz with those timings, what vRam did you use?

Pack date is 8/30/06.

I bumped up RAM voltage to 2.3v a couple of times. The instability above 425 FSB was using 7X. I'm still learning the BIOS settings on this mobo. I have not gotten crazy with voltages yet. My components are still sort of new, still paying off the credit card bill you know. ;) I'll try some more testing later tonight.

Oh yeah, by the way, I haven't done a fresh Windows install either. Surprisingly enough, after I changed mobo and CPU, it booted right up into WinXP. I updated drivers and stuff, but that's all. Windows gave me 3 days to reauthenticate, so I'm just going to play around for now. I'll reformat in a day or two.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=478597

Aah you were on vacation I glossed over that the first time. Check out that thread^, it took me a bit to digest the info linked within but I understand it now. Basically you're asking the northbridge chip to run at (9/7)*FSB speed not just the FSB speed. That means 9/7=~1.286, at 425FSb that's 546MHz internally for the NB which is asking a lot obviously. So, try 9x multi and see how it goes :) that way you're running the NB chip at a speed equal to the actual FSB.

*edit* Actually I'm not certain how that applies to the 975x chipset on your motherboard, I looked up the mobo after posting the first time. You can use Sandra to see your actual NB speed as stated in the link.

It might not be ram issue with that setting but the northbridge might be out of its range if its being overclocked.

Suppositly if you use a lesser multiplyer with your CPU you start to OC the NB more. Say your using 425Mhz as a base

9x = 425Mhz
8x = 478Mhz
7x = 546Mhz

This could be limiting the OC.

Oops Madman beat me to it, and since its a 975 chipset don't know if that would apply it does suppositly with the 965's.

hipro said he was hitting a wall at 425mhz and that a new bios should fix it.

nice system bb im jealous now. :beer:

It's good to see Abit sorted out their BIOSes I hadn't seen too much about them here for a while. Any new BIOS fixes for your board Evil?

MadMan007 said:
It's good to see Abit sorted out their BIOSes I hadn't seen too much about them here for a while. Any new BIOS fixes for your board Evil?
well im still using the 1.4 as the 1.9b has bugs so im chillin till a new one. i dont think my board likes the D9's on my c4's still stuck with the anything over 300mhz instant restart. on the upside after going to 1.9 for testing then back to 1.4 i was able to do this on 1.4 not stable mind you and i couldnt figure out why.
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4724226&postcount=54

sorry for OT BB have one on me :beer: :beer: ok 2, as long as your legal.:)

Good luck bb! :attn:

deathman20 said:
Oops Madman beat me to it, and since its a 975 chipset don't know if that would apply it does suppositly with the 965's.

SuperNate found the same results on his DH, so if sandra is giving the correct bus speed (IE if its true at all) it applies to both.

Evilsizer said:
sorry for OT BB have one on me :beer: :beer: ok 2, as long as your legal.:)

bb is our old school Intel overclocker.. If he isn't legal, he must have started when he was like 8 or 9 :beer:

@DOM.. bb doesn't go to extreams with voltages (maybe a little extra for a few benches) :p I say lets see how far a he gets his rig with what he feels is safe voltage ;)

greenmaji said:
bb is our old school Intel overclocker..

At least you didn't say I was an "old fart".

I did a little research and noticed people with high FSB clocks on this AW9D were cranking up the MCH voltage a lot. So, I turned up the heat and got this result. That's even with RAM timings left at 4-4-4-10 too.

E6600+3800+CPU.JPG

batboy said:
At least you didn't say I was an "old fart".

I did a little research and noticed people with high FSB clocks on this AW9D were cranking up the MCH voltage a lot. So, I turned up the heat and got this result. That's even with RAM timings left at 4-4-4-10 too.

E6600+3800+CPU.JPG
just wait for a new bios then with the same votlage i think you will be doing 450+.

Back