• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scared a bit..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aman

ok the current computer im using i bought it like 4 years ago for like 1400

simply put it sucks. It has 2.4 amd athlon processor but hardrive is 30gb and the memory is 256mb

well latly it started makign weird sounds my freind suggested i should clean the fans

so i heard computers are very sesntives and if you touch wrong parts i am screwed.

I currently know nothing except touch the tip of a screw driver before doig anything

so help me guys tell me what i need to know.

here are some pics

don't know if the matter though

it's compaq presario s5314st

the processor was 2.333

Attachments

• pic01.jpg
    pic01.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 67
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 63
uh i don't know how to describe but sometimes it starts going like tngh tngh

like the processor is having trouble and it's taking to much energy..

If you have a power supply that has a switch on it... keep it plugged in and flip the switch to off.. This keeps it from turning on, but retains the ground line. When working inside the case touch the case its elf before reaching inside. If you are in a dry environment with lots of equipmnent running (High chance of ESD) then maintain contact wit hthe case frame. (just keep your arm touching it for instance)

Cleaning is usually done with a can of compressed air, althouhg personally, I just use some qtips and alcohol and lung power.

It could also be the PSU getting clogged up with dust. Try blowing that out as well (I usally power mine up so the fans are spinning and then clean it so the dust is sucked right out... but thats me and im stupid)

Try to isolate the location of the noise. It could be the CPU fan, the chipset fan, the PSU fan or the video card fan (or any number of case fans)

you just made me more scared and confused. :(

can of compressed air?!!?!?

im confused again.

This is what a can of compressed air looks like:

Compressed%20air%20can.jpg

You can find these at probably any store like Walmart or Target, etc.

You really don't have to worry about touching things as much as people would make you think. Just don't work on the computer on carpet or something that can cause static. If you want to blow out the fans, just stick the little straw that the air comes out of where you want to blow and pull the trigger. Old, dusty fans can make a lot of noise sometimes. Of course, turn the computer off, unplug the power cord, and switch the power supply off (if it has a switch on the back) before working on the computer.

The only other things in your computer that can make noises are the HardDrive and CD-Rom drive (fans, hds, and cdroms are the only things that move in a computer.. usually). So, if blowing out the fans doesn't stop the noise, the fan may be beyond repair, or it's possible that your HD may be dieing.

if i cannot work on a carpet can i like put a bed sheet on the carpet and put my computer on that?

I would do it on a wooden table or desk.

By the way .. :
Aman said:
simply put it sucks. It has 2.4 amd athlon processor but hardrive is 30gb and the memory is 256mb
If you add another 256 or 768mb of ram, your computer will be a LOT faster :)

1 GB RAM = teh pwnage

Personal suggestion: use some of the stickies on this site (I made one myself, it just never got stickied :( ) and actually TAKE APART your compy...maybe do this after you buy that overpriced alienware...sorry I just REALLY HATE alienware.

Then use the sticky you picked to piece your old compy back together...run it with minimum parts (Mobo, proccy, cpu fan, gfx card, psu, and hard drive)...if the sound is still there then run caseless and try to pinpoint the sound, if the sound is gone than you broked a CD/DVD/ Floppy drive.

Honestly, the rig you're running is fine with a little upgrading.

Back