• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yet another.. Should I get the PB5-D or P5W-D thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
p5b-d also supports X-fire with a bios update, altho its somewhat slower than the other board in x-fire, wether or not it will get better as far as x-fire goes noone knows.

In my opinion it all comes down to what you really plan to do. I no longer chase crazy high OC's with my rigs, these days I go for decent clocks but I also want the bells and whistles. The P5W DH has all the toys and OC's good enough to satisfy anyone but the full on OCing crowd that wants to fight for the top spot.
I went with the P5W DH myself and have not wanted anything else, its very fast, reliable and fits my needs perfectly.

If you're getting an e6600 or up either one will be fine and not limit your oc'ing at all and it comes down to other features like full-on CF, ICH8R vs 7R, and the price difference too. With an e6400 or e6300 you'll want a 965-based board for more easily reached high FSB to match the lower CPU multipliers and not have the mobo limit your oc, you just need memory that can do the appropriate FSB in that case. But you might be looking at the same memory for either one anyway so that shouldn't matter.

I would say P5B. I am rather dissapoint with my P5W because it maxes out at 425FSB. If you are going with air cooling and dont want a crazy high OC, then the P5W D will suit you nice. Although, I have not seen any hitting 450 plus.

I will probably sell/trade my board for a P5B or maybe dish out a little extra for the P5W64.

Back