• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh masters of Cooling I summon thee

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

That time of the year has arrived again. My parents want to know what I want for my birthday. When I say money, they say no. So I need to find a "gift" which i order my self and they pay me back... LOL

Currently i have an Aero Cool sprial galaxy case. It is too big for me and the lay out isnt very good. Want to get the AeroCool Masstige This case has there 80mm fans on the side, a 120mm fan in the front (which is movable from top to bottom), and a 120mm fan in the back. I plan on leaving the pci covers off so that the air can flow straight through over the video cards and chipset and out the back.

The Image bellow is my planed airflow. I have two questions.

1)What fans should i get? i would prefer quiet, nonled fans that move enough air that the computer will stay cool
2) is this the best air flow i can get?

untitled-1.jpg

panflows

a bit noizy but at least your 2 gpus will get some cool air

all the quiet low cfm fans wont push the air far enough

I tried to have a 120mm fan blowing over my 6800GT with the slot covers off, but I dont think I saw any improvment in temps.

Ok so hows about this?

Sunbeam Rheobus

2 x Panaflo NMB FBA12G12M1A 120mm
86.5CFM
35.5dBA

3 x Panaflo FBA08A12U1A 80mm
46.9CFM
38.2dBA

I know at full boar it will probably sound like an airplane taking off but if i turn them down when needed will it be ok?

jmh547 said:
Ok so hows about this?

Sunbeam Rheobus

2 x Panaflo NMB FBA12G12M1A 120mm
86.5CFM
35.5dBA

3 x Panaflo FBA08A12U1A 80mm
46.9CFM
38.2dBA

I know at full boar it will probably sound like an airplane taking off but if i turn them down when needed will it be ok?

I'd say so. My panaflows undervolt pretty well with my rheobus.

use as many 120mm fans as you can instead of hte 80mm, they always push out more cfm per dba. You dont need too many fans really, for your setup, I wouldnt get over 4 fans really.

Those grills look fairly restrictive. Theres no point in having the ability to crank up your fans if they can't breath. I would put lots of low speed fans and skip the rheobus.
I would put one of these in the back and one in the front.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf49cfms12.html

Then I would have 3 of these facing in on the side
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa80br.html

All around 20dba and good reliable brands. The positive airflow should work well with your idea of leaving the topmost pci slot covers off.

Last edited:
I love the idea of the low speed fans mainly because they are quiet but will they be enough?

They should be if you have 5 of them. Especially if you cut the grill off of the back fan. If you want to go nuts you could even add a blowhole to the top of the case but that may be overkill. With that many fans blowing in you'll probably have about 40 extra cfm of positive pressure after you factor in the power supply fan but that will be what blows out of the pci slots at the upper rear of the case(good idea imo).

Ok guys i got the case and two new fans yesterday. First off the case is amazing no sharp edges very easy to install and plenty of room to work. This surprised me since the case is about 4 inches shorter than my old case and about an inch skinier. My only grip is the 1/8inch scratch in the aluminum that will bug the _ _ _ _ (fill in four letter word here) out of me.

I bought two Scythe SFF21F they are rated at 63.7cfm @ 28dBA not silent but alot quieter than what i had (a couple genaric aerocool 120s and a thermaltake 120). I opted to stick with the 3 80mm fans that the case came with because from the reviews i read they estimated them to be around 25dba (i think they are quieter than that)

I set the fans up like my illestration above and removed the empty pci covers which i can feel some air moving out them. As it stands my processor runs about 4c hotter idle than before (i suspect because of i dont have the "Wind tunnel" that i had in my spiral galexy), however my video cards run about a degree cooler under idle. The part i found interesting was that the chipset runs about 3c cooler than before. I put my hardrives in the front of the case because they just dont fit in the hard drive holder (the 80mm fans hit the cables) i suspect that with a 90degree sata cable it would work, never the less the harddrives are running about 10 degrees cooler.

I also purchased some cardkeepers from frozencpu. They were easy enough to install however i did need to file the one down because of a badly placed rivot in the back of the case. One word of caution they will need to be moded slightly to fit the 900cu.

Thanks everyone for you pointers and help. Enjoy the pictures.

PICTURES:

1) The first picture is the general outside of the case.
2) If you turn your head side ways this is the front of the case.
3) You can see the spots for the harddrive the 80mm fans sit right next to them and can hit the wires.
4-6) closeups of the inside of the case.
And at the bottom there are links to see my old case for compairison.
1)
CIMG0462.jpg

2)
CIMG0463.jpg

3)
CIMG0467.jpg

4)
CIMG0469.jpg

5)
CIMG0468.jpg

6)
CIMG0464.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/jmh547/My computer/CIMG0461.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/jmh547/My computer/CIMG0459.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/jmh547/My computer/CIMG0460.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/jmh547/My computer/CIMG0458.jpg

I have the same case and its setup about the same except I only have one video card and my front 120mm fan is a little lower so it basically points right at the end of my video card. I also went with 120mm Deltas and a sunbeam rheobus. I haven't replaced the side 80mm fans yet but I'm thinking about puting better fans in and taking out the grill.

Once i get home and have access to a dremel i will def cut out the grill.

I am looking for one or two more of the fan holder for the frond if anyone knows where i can buy them. I saw something similar on newegg by scythe but at $20 a piece they are a little too salty for my blood

Back