• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rajanm1

would a 7900 GS be able to support 4 monitors for a flight simulator? or would i be better of getting two 7600SG cards or even 7600GS + a PCI card? (do PCI cards need their own power of can they take it from the MOBO?)

rajanm1 said:
would a 7900 GS be able to support 4 monitors for a flight simulator? or would i be better of getting two 7600SG cards or even 7600GS + a PCI card? (do PCI cards need their own power of can they take it from the MOBO?)

i can't answer the first question, but i will anser the second; PCI cards are by no means "power hungry" or even GOOD 3d accelerators, so no they do not need an external power source (like a molex connector), they can draw from the pci slot.

does anyone know that MAX number of monitors supported on a 7900GS and 7600GT and 7600GS?? (to run MS flight sim)

thanks

im guessing that because they each only have 2 monitor outputs... two?

best bet is to get 2 cards. but even then i wouldn't know if the game can split up amoung 2 vid cards. i dunno what im talking about here.

all i know that on my mobo case it says in large letters "supports up to 4 displays" and im guessing it says that because i can run both PCI-e and AGP in my mobo.

Most games wont use 4 monitors even if you have them all connected. However a divice from matrox the tipplehead2go allows you to use multiple monitors that combine into one connector to allow almost any game to use multiple displays.

1.jpg

2.jpg

but would a 7900GS be able to support 4 monitors? and the "game" is Microsoft flight simulator X

(note: you can combine multiple monitors into one port via the tripplehead2go.)

A single 7900gs can power 2 sperate display signals for 2d apps, You could, although not many people would bother, run as many monitors as you want off of one card by spliting the signal to multiple monitors. However when you do this all of the monitors on one port would display the same image.

When you lanch a 3d app it will run the game on all of the monitors on one of the ports; be it one monitor, a bunch of split signal monitors displaying the same image, or 3 monitors signals turned into one monitor signal making it appear as one large monitor via the tipplehead2go.

If you had two cards you would have 4 sperate ports to use but again when you fire up a 3d app it will only run on one port. You could use the other ports to display say a movie or a text document while you play a 3d game however.

With a tripplehead2go you can run 4 monitors each displaying a different image on one 7900gs, with 3 running on the tripplehead2go on port1 and a seperate monitor running on port2. Your computer will think that the 3 monitors on the tripplehead2go are one monitor but it has 3x the horizontal resolution as one would have. When you fire up say flight simulator X you can run the game on your one large "monitor" that is really the 3 monitors combined into one input all on one port. Also while you play games on your large "monitor" you could watch a movie or something on the 4th monitor.

Last edited:
Back