• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7V266-E / Soundcard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acko

I have come across a problem?

The Asus A7V266-E seems to have become unstable with my soundblaster 1024 (The Graphics seem to judder?) I took the card out of my system after trying various configurations( including a Bios upgrade to 1004B) & everything worked fine.

I assumed I needed a new card so have bought a Audigy, just installed it to find I have the same problems?

I think it is to do with IRQ`s but no errors showing?

Any ideas please.

Acko

Asus A7V266-E
XP1600+
Crucial 512 PC2100
Geforce 3
Antec SX8 350
30 Gig Ata-100 7200 rpm
Plextor 12/10/32A

does the board have onboard sound? If it does, you'll wanna disable it. You might also want to move the soundcard as far away from the video card as possible.

Yes the soundcard was disabled in the Bios

The A7V series M/Board had conflicts where you had to reserve IRQ 5 for legacy Device / yes but this does not seem to work on this board
Thanx anyway

Acko

Disable the Souncard in the BIO's (if you haven't already done so). Then install your soundcard in PCI slot 3. Then you should not have any conflicts. I now have an A7V266-E with a Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 in PCI slot 3 and it works perfect.
Abb

Hi Abb1

Thanx for your reply

I`ve tried slot 3 & slot 4 both with soundblaster 1024 / Audigy
the sound works but is slightly crackly?
But if I test for example Mad Onion 2000 the Helicopter blades are stuttering badly.

The system won`t let me upgrade latest Via patch.

Going to re-format

Acko

If you are still having problems, there should be a jumper that makes the onboard sound appear completely non-existant. At least that's how it is with my a7M266. Try changing that jumper to disable the soundcard. It may still exist and be causing problems if you just disable it in the BIOS.

Thanx for your reply Krusty

I`ve had a weekend of it!!
But to cut a long story short I visited the Via site & was advised to dump the soundblaster for a Videologic Sonicfury. Now my system is running like a dream. Obviously a compatability prob.

Acko

Adding Sound card to A7V266-E

I don't know why anyone would want to do that! With The C-Media-CMI-8738 on board sound I get excellent audio from all apps including Games, Now granted it might take away a few cycles off of the CPU but how much I wonder, I have a Athlon XP1800+...

Kobi:burn:

Thanx for the input Guy`s

There is no way the on board sound is as good as a dedicated stand alone Sound Card ( Well thats only my opinion )

Now I have my VideoLogic Sonicfury sound card installed it literally is music to my ears.

I have the Cambridge sat`s & sub. sys. so the on board sound really did`nt sound so good.

Games really flow well now ( No jerking )

Acko

Back