• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking of getting peltier with 1st WC setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can mount a plet on that waterblock.
Because that block focussus on the diode of your cpu, but the pelt etmits heat from the whole surface...

A 226w pelt should be more then enough, since your conroe's thermal design spec is 65W or so. You always want to have atleast 2 times the thermal design spec

Also you must know that you'll need to do insulation to prevent condensation (getting that on components would be bad ;))+ you'll propably need a psu and coldplate too

Most people on the extreme cooling section think that a pelt isn't a ideal cooling component, since it uses a lot of electricity and isn't very effincient.
For a little bit more money you can get a nice evap ;)

Edit: oh yeah, don't know if the rad/fans are enough either.. I don't have any expivience with tec's I only know theorie about it

Last edited:
Im a poor man, I dont have money for a phase change cooler, is there any other way I could cool my cpu to below zero?

and about the peltier, can'y I simple put it between the cpu and the waterblock with a ton of insulation around everywhere?

enz660 said:
Im a poor man, I dont have money for a phase change cooler, is there any other way I could cool my cpu to below zero?

and about the peltier, can'y I simple put it between the cpu and the waterblock with a ton of insulation around everywhere?

EDITS

Well for starters a 225 watt pelt is going to put off 225 watts of heat on the hot side. This means you need to be able to handle 225 watts of heat with your w/c system. If the water cooling won't take the 225 watts of heat then the hot side will start to heat up the cold side producing an overheated CPU. I dealy both surfaces of the TEC pad would be covered by the HS and CPU. Below are ghetto views of the stack like a sandwitch (side view).

Well I was trying to demonstraight that the size of the parts won't match up.
This shows that everything is the same width.
____________________ HS
================== TEC/Pelt
++++++++++++++++++ CPU

That is in the ideal world but below will probably be the case.

____________________ HS
================== TEC
+++++++++++++ CPU

This shows that the HS ant TEC are the same width and the CPU is smaller.

or even:
This shows that the HS and CPU are smaller then the TEC.
______________ HS
================== TEC
+++++++++ CPU

To overcome this you would want to add some plates in the mix that are made of copper.
This shows that the HS is smaller than the TEC but to overcome this a copper plate the same size as the TEC is added between the two. It also shows that the CPU is smaller than the TEC and to overcome this a copper plate the same size as the TEC is added.

______________ HS
****************** Copper Plate
================== TEC
+++++++++ CPU

This way both surfaces of the TEC are completly covered but even then you run into the problem of good contact. There will have to be TIM between each layer and each surface will have to be good and flat so they match up evenly. Some water blocks come with TEC's build in like Swiftech's MCW60 with TEC. The build in the HS, the TEC and the two copper plates all in one sealed package. In the end the benefit doesn't beat the PITA, cost and operating expense. It comes to the point where you have to decide between straight up water and phase as I doubt you will have much luck with pelts.

Last edited:
Immortal_Hero said:

EDITS

Well for starters a 225 watt pelt is going to put off 225 watts of heat on the hot side. This means you need to be able to handle 225 watts of heat with your w/c system. If the water cooling won't take the 225 watts of heat then the hot side will start to heat up the cold side producing an overheated CPU. I dealy both surfaces of the TEC pad would be covered by the HS and CPU. Below are ghetto views of the stack like a sandwitch (side view).

Well I was trying to demonstraight that the size of the parts won't match up.
This shows that everything is the same width.
____________________ HS
================== TEC/Pelt
++++++++++++++++++ CPU

That is in the ideal world but below will probably be the case.

____________________ HS
================== TEC
+++++++++++++ CPU

This shows that the HS ant TEC are the same width and the CPU is smaller.

or even:
This shows that the HS and CPU are smaller then the TEC.
______________ HS
================== TEC
+++++++++ CPU

To overcome this you would want to add some plates in the mix that are made of copper.
This shows that the HS is smaller than the TEC but to overcome this a copper plate the same size as the TEC is added between the two. It also shows that the CPU is smaller than the TEC and to overcome this a copper plate the same size as the TEC is added.

______________ HS
================== TEC
+++++++++ CPU

This way both surfaces of the TEC are completly covered but even then you run into the problem of good contact. There will have to be TIM between each layer and each surface will have to be good and flat so they match up evenly. Some water blocks come with TEC's build in like Swiftech's MCW60 with TEC. The build in the HS, the TEC and the two copper plates all in one sealed package. In the end the benefit doesn't beat the PITA, cost and operating expense. It comes to the point where you have to decide between straight up water and phase as I doubt you will have much luck with pelts.

thank you very much, sounds good. Can anyone show me where to get a small psu for a peltier? Like...one that would fit in a drive bay.

enz660 said:
ouch thats a lot for 300watts. Can I buy a regular 300watt psu somewhere and make it so that it starts up with my other bigger psu as well?

you may be able to get a 12v relay to do it. or you can buy one off performance pc's (a pci slot 12v relay) thats how i have my pump setup. i can switch it to be "always on, off, or on with power"

i didnt want to screw with anything so i decided that was the best way to handle it!

edit: the pci relay switch would only help with a 12v item. i cant gaurentee it will work with a power supply

you should try just watercooling and see what happens. if your not satisfied with your overclock then get the pelt really i have a opty 144 and i'm cooling it well with the stuff i currently have

Last edited:
if you were to power another power supply i dont think that would work you need more of a relay to do that i know they have them around there on the sight

once you take into account the added costs for peltiers you should quickly realize that phase change is a much better deal. that's assuming you know what you're doing of course.

you need a psu that puts out atleast 226W on the 12V rail to power your tec..

so that's a psu with atleast 20Amps on the 12V, but since you don't want to strain it too much... more amps is better

crimedog said:
once you take into account the added costs for peltiers you should quickly realize that phase change is a much better deal. that's assuming you know what you're doing of course.

I found a 226w pelter for 32 bucks, and a special psu just for peltiers for 89 bucks, even with a top end watercooling system, its hundreds less than if I were to go phase, which costs at least 800 dollars.

enz660 said:
I found a 226w pelter for 32 bucks, and a special psu just for peltiers for 89 bucks, even with a top end watercooling system, its hundreds less than if I were to go phase, which costs at least 800 dollars.

this is why i said 'if you knew what you were doing' because most people start off with a used mach1 for ~$400

enz660 said:

Custom built phase is cheaper then 800 bucks, check the classifieds, jinu117 should have a thread there. His units outperform all pre-fab phase that I know of.

As crimedog said, used units are even cheaper.

enz660 said:
how loud are these phase change cooling systems?

Depends. Its like saying how fast are cars. be more specific and if you cant do reaserch (read: use the search function and read) then ask. Can be alot quieter then your air cooling or alot louder. Everything is relative. Depends what you build.

Pels are alot more expensive in the long run as you have to pay for electricity sparky. Why do people never think ahead. And if you dont pay for electricity I am sure your parents will be wondring why their power bill just shot up.

Also it seems to me you are trying to save every penny and cut every corner. Take my advice, when you do that with pelts houses burn down, this has happen already one to many times.

I would sugest you stay away from pelts and stick with WC if you cant afford phase change. Which is bogus since it can be ebayed for about what a decent pelt set up with wc will run you. Or you can build it yourself. Nol here made a unit for $300 tools incuded lol :)

Pf.Farnsworth said:
Depends. Its like saying how fast are cars. be more specific and if you cant do reaserch (read: use the search function and read) then ask. Can be alot quieter then your air cooling or alot louder. Everything is relative. Depends what you build.

Pels are alot more expensive in the long run as you have to pay for electricity sparky. Why do people never think ahead. And if you dont pay for electricity I am sure your parents will be wondring why their power bill just shot up.

Also it seems to me you are trying to save every penny and cut every corner. Take my advice, when you do that with pelts houses burn down, this has happen already one to many times.

I would sugest you stay away from pelts and stick with WC if you cant afford phase change. Which is bogus since it can be ebayed for about what a decent pelt set up with wc will run you. Or you can build it yourself. Nol here made a unit for $300 tools incuded lol :)

lol, maybe he can make one for me ;)

Pelts are fine to use in a benching setup, IMO, but I wouldn't want to use one on a primary machine or any rig that runs daily.

alright well, from everything I have read, it seems like its a bad idea for me to use a peltier for my main rig daily or else I will burn my cpu up, and my house as well. :eek: I dont think phase cooling is worth the money (new one) and not worth all the trouble for a lazy nub such as myself for a custom cooler/ searching for a used one. Plus it wouldnt really work with my case design. (my super sexy Asus Vento 3600) I guess watercooling is really the best option & the most practical as well. Sure I can OC an extra 300-400mhz more with phase, but Its probably not all that worth spending hundreds of dollars for a few more frames per second. Thanks for all your help.

Back