• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A few questions before I start my annual Linux install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Well this might end up crash landing like all the previous tries but at least I'll learn something :)

Anyway I have
Opty 165
ATI x1900 XT :bang head
DFI-Lan Ultra-D Nforce4
2 IDE drives (master/Slave)

Now I have bought a SATA drive (finally) and would like to use is for Linux and as dump storage...
What I wonder will there be some problems (think I've read somewhere that I should install Linux on master HD or similar) having XP on one IDE and Linux on SATA (eventually I'll move over XP to SATA as well (it is faster than the discs I have now)

Now the big question... How hard will it be for me to get this ATi card to work "well" under Linux? With work well I mean AA+AF in WoW, Civ4 and epsxe emulator, not interested in other games. Thing is I don't want to start installing now and end up not being able to start X and give up there, better read up as much as I can before I start (in case it'll be PITA to get ATi to work)

Thank you for your time folks!

*edit

P.S. Will be using ubuntu btw

Melhisedek said:
Well this might end up crash landing like all the previous tries but at least I'll learn something :)

Anyway I have
Opty 165
ATI x1900 XT :bang head
DFI-Lan Ultra-D Nforce4
2 IDE drives (master/Slave)

Now I have bought a SATA drive (finally) and would like to use is for Linux and as dump storage...
What I wonder will there be some problems (think I've read somewhere that I should install Linux on master HD or similar) having XP on one IDE and Linux on SATA (eventually I'll move over XP to SATA as well (it is faster than the discs I have now)

Now the big question... How hard will it be for me to get this ATi card to work "well" under Linux? With work well I mean AA+AF in WoW, Civ4 and epsxe emulator, not interested in other games. Thing is I don't want to start installing now and end up not being able to start X and give up there, better read up as much as I can before I start (in case it'll be PITA to get ATi to work)

Thank you for your time folks!

*edit

P.S. Will be using ubuntu btw

well, i had a problem to run x for the first time... and this is how i done it afterall: i reconfigured to work x with vesa drivers and than having graphical access to read normaly web-pages i install my ati x800GTO Fireblade. Just don't know what about games. I saw a topic talking about wow. I think everything is possible using some emulators :beer:

I don't think it's possible to run Civ4 under Linux, but I might be wrong. No clue what epsxe is. WoW is possible, but possibly some caveats like custom WINE patches, etc

Well after a few tries I installed Ubuntu, no problems whatsoever :) Sound and network are working out of the box, it has even mounted my other drives for me :)

Now on to the problems:

Resolution is painful... 1024x768 @ 60Hz. Also I have troubles with all the media files, like in I can't play a single one... not even mp3s. It says something about the codec. Sadly I had to leave it at that last night but will continue today after work :)

Well with so many things I need to "fix", getting games to work will have to wait.

@klingens
epsxe is a really good PSX emulator

Anyone else using Ubuntu? If yes could you please check the number of packages/repositories in that "Package Manager" I think I have enabled some more of them and I have about 1000 listed. Sounds a bit too few? So how many do you have?

Melhisedek said:
Well after a few tries I installed Ubuntu, no problems whatsoever :) Sound and network are working out of the box, it has even mounted my other drives for me :)

Now on to the problems:

Resolution is painful... 1024x768 @ 60Hz. Also I have troubles with all the media files, like in I can't play a single one... not even mp3s. It says something about the codec. Sadly I had to leave it at that last night but will continue today after work :)

Well with so many things I need to "fix", getting games to work will have to wait.

@klingens
epsxe is a really good PSX emulator

Anyone else using Ubuntu? If yes could you please check the number of packages/repositories in that "Package Manager" I think I have enabled some more of them and I have about 1000 listed. Sounds a bit too few? So how many do you have?

To play Your MP3s install xmms (it will be installed with codecs)
To play AVI and other video install VLC (it will be installed with codecs)

and here it is how to install graphics drivers and change resolutions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

just use https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ cause there are the most part of Your answers i think :beer:

klingens said:
I don't think it's possible to run Civ4 under Linux, but I might be wrong. No clue what epsxe is. WoW is possible, but possibly some caveats like custom WINE patches, etc

maybe Cedega could take care of Civ4 game to run under Linux? never tried this game, but others runs enough great ;)

Yeah as far as I heard Cedega is the way to go, problem is my ATi card :/ Or rather it is not the card but the drivers. According to most of topics on Cedega, Ubuntu and Linuxquestions, most of the 3D games (newer ones) are virtually unplayable :(

I'm not sure if XMMS installs it for you, but you want to install the gstreamer-ugly plugins for MP3 support, Ubuntu doesn't ship with these codecs because they run into legal problems with licensing and what-not.

As far as getting the Ati drivers to work, it should be fairly painless. In synaptic install the xorg-fglrx drivers, then after they install run sudo ati-config from a terminal and you should get a working xorg.conf out of it with 3D support (and hopefully along the way that fixes your resolution issue).

You may have to enable some extra repositories in Synaptic to get the Ati drivers, specifically the non-free ones.

Also, you should download and run Automatix: http://www.getautomatix.com/ .
This handy little script makes it really easy to install Flash/Java plugins, as well as some video codecs that aren't really legal to use in Linux (such as Quicktime/WMV/DVDs).

Here is a small description how to install ATI PCI-E gpraphics card:

1. Install fglrx driver:
sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

2. Make backup of xorg.conf file
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_old

3. Edit xorg.conf file to make Your ATI working:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

4. Find the place where is written:
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9600/9700
M10/M11 (RV350 NP)"
Driver "ati"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

5. Change it to according this one:
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9600/9700
M10/M11 (RV350 NP)"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

6. Restart your pc

7. Try in terminal this command:
fglrxinfo

There should be written something like this:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Ati RADEON 9700 Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)

8. Now You can try glxgears and You should see the result.

Enough simple, isn't it?:attn:

Back