• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade sb Live to x-fi worth it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarlax

I have been thinking of upgrading my sound card from a SB live to a SB X-fi XtremeMusic. My question is will I really get much of a gain in sound quality or performance (I do a good deal of gaming)?

Right now I have the p4 machine in my sig but I am saving for a new 6600 core 2 duo machine. This card would make it in the new machine when that time comes so it is not a waste, but will I get much gain?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....

I have been thinking of upgrading my sound card from a SB live to a SB X-fi XtremeMusic. My question is will I really get much of a gain in sound quality or performance (I do a good deal of gaming)?
It really depends on whether you're using analog (ie to normal PC speakers or headphones) or if you're using digital -provided your Live model supports it- to a digital receiver or not. If you're just using analog then yeah, upgrading would probably be a good plan. You'd probably enjoy the added EAX effects for gaming as well. If you're using digital audio then the difference would be less.

Jarlax said:

Right now I have the p4 machine in my sig but I am saving for a new 6600 core 2 duo machine. This card would make it in the new machine when that time comes so it is not a waste, but will I get much gain?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts....

I just installed X-fi and i love it. I play a good deal of games as well, and i can tell you, it helps alot. While playing BF2, i can hear birds chirping, and bells from doors ringing. I would get it, it's worth every penny. Not to mention how much music and movies are because of it.

I have a SB Audigy 2 Value and am seriously looking at an X-Fi. Is the sound warmer at all?

*Same-boat-thread-jack*

Man, maybe I should dump my SBLive 5.1! It has EAX, but can the X-Fi and even Audigy be that much better in playing music? Ok, it will play game sounds better. I have 2.1 Logitech Z4 speakers. What am I missing?

Back