• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tryin to bind a domain name to an IP address, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

all420

Registered
I have a domain name that I have already registered. I also have an IP address I would like to bind with that domain. In other words, I am trying to set up my server so people can type in my domain name and have dns lookup my IP as opposed to me telling people my IP. What do I have to do. I rember a while ago I half-heartedly tried. I went to Network Solutions and tried to modify the settings. It asked my for my MAC address, IP, and other stuff. Is is still the same process? Also, I used to be able to find my MAC address in Linux, but my HDD containing Linux crashed a few days ago:mad:. Is there any way to find it in Win2k Pro, or do I have to reinstall Linux again?

If you're using Win2K or NT 4.0 or any other OS with an NT kernel you can open the command line and type in ARP -a and it will display the MAC address that is associated with all network controllers present in your system.

As far as binding a DNS name to your IP, you better be sure your ISP supports it. Also, it can take up to 3 days before DNS servers propogate the information to include your new domain name so it may already be setup correctly if you've done it...it just hasn't been updated on the DNS servers yet.

Back