• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help from people ouside USA using 220volts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
I'm helping a family member overseas and am stumpted.

They have this UPS, and if you look closely it has one 220volt receptacle in the back. Now what has me totaly stumpted is that the computer power plug has 3 prongs.

Now this UPS has 2 prongs and a third prong thats sticking out of the recepticle. WTF???
Is the solution just to get a 2 prong to 3 prong input Adapter to get this to work?

What makes this even more confusing is the UPS power plug has 2 prongs, but it has a spot for the third plug to plug into.
(Which would be great, but it wont work as it would be plugged into itself) :beer:

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

U650VA-220BK-soft.jpg

im pretty sure that one of the prongs (probably the single one sticking out) is a ground. i think i read about this somewhere...

i think it was done because of the higher voltage being "more dangerous" and lots of saftey engineering by comittie. (standards commities, etc)

i believe its a newer way/new standard, and it sounds as if the equipment is on the old standard.

it looks as if its designed to "make" the ground first. and protect hot and neutral unless something is plugged in.

thats all i got.

Back