• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm in trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

So I took my WC loop apart this morning and accidentally spilled some water on the motherboard (this is nothing new for me). I figured I'd just give it the day to dry off and mess with it when I get back from school/work. So I got back around 6 tonight and turned my computer on and it just hung at the bios/detect IDE screen. I messed with it to see if any cables came loose and such, and then turned it back on. It then went completely bonkers, it was shutting itself on and off at like, 20 times a minute. I was weired out and took everything apart and discovered a little water got underneath the heatsink on my chipset and shorted some capacitors which fried the chip. So now I'm back on my old Socket A Athlon trying to figure out what to do next. My board is too old to be RMA'd by Newegg. What do I do? I don't want to let my socket 939 system that I spent so much time perfecting just sit there now.

P.S.

Would this be a good excuse to upgrade to AM2? I don't really have the money, though. :burn:

Try emailing the manufacturer...they should be able to replace the mobo/proccy for slightly less $$$ than it would take to buy AM2.

Also, since AM2's release, you can spend maybe $200 tops and build a decent S939 combo. I've seen crap S939 combos on TigerDirect for $100, so you could just do a short term buy then go Conroe.

Back