• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to stop my LCD WS from altering game resolutions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnrealAlex

I recently bought this monitor,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009091
and so fars its good but the only negative is whatever resolution I pick for a game like battlefield 2142, the monitor automatically resizes it to completely fit the screen. So regardless if I pick 1024, or 1280 it automatically auto-fits it to the monitor.
I looked through the menu, and the manual and it makes no mention of turning off auto-sizing. Is there any way I can make it so it doesnt alter the resolutions to auto fit the screen? Any program that can force resolution, or a hack or something, please :(

I don't know if the LCD has it built in like Dell LCDs do, but they have aspect settings in the LCD menu...so perhaps try looking for that.

If not, if you have an Nvidia card, the newer drivers have scaling options. I'm not sure if it has to be enabled by Coolbits or not, but if you cannot find it, install Coolbits. Then, in the new style interface goto advanced view and then goto Display > Change Flat Panel Scaling. There you can set it to either normal scaling, which would stretch it to the maximum over the screen (But not change the aspect ratio). Or you can set it to fixed aspect ratio. which will display it in 1:1 pixels (So, depending on the res you are using it may have black bars on the sides AND the top and bottom)

It's still possible to help the situation. Even if the monitor or video drivers won't scale the picture or lock it into a certain aspect, you can usually set the game to work in a WS resolution.

Check out this site:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Master_Games_List_-_A

It shows you how to setup most games to use a WS resolution.

Even if your video card cannot display the game in the LCD's native resolution, you can find a resolution that is the same aspect, and it will look better than streching a non-WS.

For instance, your LCD has a native res of 1440x900, you could set/force the game to run in 1280x800, which would scale to the same aspect.

My monitor does not have the option, I have looked multiple times. And it appears that ATI,unlike NVIDIA, does not have the option to force it to run NON-WS. So is there any program that I can use to force NON-WS resolutions? Sort of like..add black bars to the side or something like NVIDIA does?

Well if you cannot force it to run in 4:3, then force the game to run in WS. That's why I gave that link for widescreengamingforum.com It shows you how to make most games run in widescreen (Even if they do not support it by default). (like, for instance with BF2142, you modify the shortcut to the game so that it looks like this:

"C:\Battlefield 2142\BF2142.exe" "+menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1440 +szy 900"

Of course you would change the path to be the path of where your game is instlaled on your Hard drive.

jivetrky said:
Well if you cannot force it to run in 4:3, then force the game to run in WS. That's why I gave that link for widescreengamingforum.com It shows you how to make most games run in widescreen (Even if they do not support it by default). (like, for instance with BF2142, you modify the shortcut to the game so that it looks like this:

Of course you would change the path to be the path of where your game is instlaled on your Hard drive.
Yea I already know that =/ reason I dont want it is my 9800 pro has problems handling such a big resolution and I have stuttering even on all low sometimes. If I could put the res at 1024x760 it would run it on all mediums perfectly :(
Does newegg take things back even if they arent defective? Maybe I could exchange for a monitor that has the option. They advertised it incorrectly too, it should support more than 1 resolution and it simply doesnt.
Edit: you know whats funny in my newegg review I said that this monitor autoadjusts every res so you can really only use 1440 x900 and newegg deleted my review.

Last edited:
Your monitor cannot change the resolution that your display is outputting. If your video card is displaying a resolution less than the native resolution, your monitor is simply stretching the display to fit the full size of the panel. So you COULD run in 1024x768 just fine, but it will be out of aspect.

I'm not sure what options your video card gives for resolutions. But you should hopefully have options for resolutions like 1280x800, or possibly even something smaller. 1280x800 is still a little bigger than 1024x768, but it's smaller than 1440x900, and will help your video performance a little bit.

If your ATI control panel doesn't give options for 1280x800 by default, look around and see if there's an option to run at custom resolutions (Might refer to it as unsupported resoltutions or something else like that)

And as far as returning the display. Newegg will probably still take it back, but they'll most likely change you a 15% restocking fee.

jivetrky said:

But you need to read closer. If you do not want to have any kind of stretching, you need to replace the "+fullscreen" with "+widescreen". Read down a bit and they will explain that.

Back