• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

core 2 duo which heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
imposter said:
So which heatsink for core 2 duo e6300? i hope this doesnt become like advertise which heatsink you got post lol.

sry its going to have to turn out like that... BUT i have wasy i can back it up

I would recommend a Thermalright Ultra 120.... thermal right has always made top of the line products that are of the utmost high quality... i also have a SI-120 on a p4 rig and it keeps it extreemly cool.... I am going to have to say the Ultra 120 cus it just pwns... but a scythe NINJA would do very well also.

nd4spdbh2 said:
sry its going to have to turn out like that... BUT i have wasy i can back it up

I would recommend a Thermalright Ultra 120.... thermal right has always made top of the line products that are of the utmost high quality... i also have a SI-120 on a p4 rig and it keeps it extreemly cool.... I am going to have to say the Ultra 120 cus it just pwns... but a scythe NINJA would do very well also.

Another 120 vote from me. Did alot of research before I bought mine, and am very happy.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I vote for the Scythe Infinity, strap a 120x38mm EFB1212SHE and you have one insane aircooler :D.
DSC01196.jpg
Ultra 120 would probably work well with a high cfm fan, as for the infinity, it likes the low cfm fan (although it would work a tad better with a more powerful fan as well) due to the large spacing of the fins. Both are nearly equal heatsinks, just make sure to get a nice fan for whichever you get.

enz660 said:
Ultra 120 would probably work well with a high cfm fan, as for the infinity, it likes the low cfm fan (although it would work a tad better with a more powerful fan as well) due to the large spacing of the fins. Both are nearly equal heatsinks, just make sure to get a nice fan for whichever you get.

the ultra 120 is actually better than the Infinity.... and the infinity is worse than the ninja.... so it goes ultra 120 > ninja > infinity... but alll are VERY VERY close to eachother.

nd4spdbh2 said:
the ultra 120 is actually better than the Infinity.... and the infinity is worse than the ninja.... so it goes ultra 120 > ninja > infinity... but alll are VERY VERY close to eachother.

QFT. Friend has an Ultra 120 on his C2D. Freaking awesome cooler:drool:

Idle: 39C Load: ~46C

Not entirely sure though, it was a while ago. Though I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
enz660 said:

Can you specify what you mean by a high cfm fan vs a low cfm fan?

EDIT: I am in the same situation, torn between the Thermalright Ultra 120 and the Scythe Infinity (wasn't the Ninja discontinued or something?). I thought that the Thermalright was the best if you had a high CFM (thus louder) fan and the Scythe Infinity was best if you were using a low CFM (and thus quiter) fan. I'm looking for whatever heatsink that will perform best with a relatively low CFM fan (40-50CFM). I want the best performance I can get while still keeping the noise down.

Last edited:
youngbuck said:
Can you specify what you mean by a high cfm fan vs a low cfm fan?

EDIT: I am in the same situation, torn between the Thermalright Ultra 120 and the Scythe Infinity (wasn't the Ninja discontinued or something?). I thought that the Thermalright was the best if you had a high CFM (thus louder) fan and the Scythe Infinity was best if you were using a low CFM (and thus quiter) fan. I'm looking for whatever heatsink that will perform best with a relatively low CFM fan (40-50CFM). I want the best performance I can get while still keeping the noise down.

i have a 47cfm (@ 12v) that i usually run at 6v so pretty much cut the CFM in half on my Ultra 120 and it keeps my E6600 ultra cool right now im sittin at 34 / 34 *C on both cores with allllll fans in my case low @ 6v.... its freakin amazing.... Ultra 120 FTW. the infinity / ninja are made for more of a passive cpu cooler with a case with alot of fans so not much pressure thus fin spacing far apart. but the Ultra 120 with any fan is a DAMN good cooler.

OH and dude above me with the P5W dh and infinity pics... why did you go with aftermarket chipset cooling... the stock cooling with AS5 and a 40mm fan skrewed onto the heatsink works amazing wonders... dropped my chipset temp 35-40*F

hi'
I recently changed the original fan for the big typhoon for another thermaltake ifan with led, 62cfm for a low16db, GREAT :)

beside, I made another OC going ok and thinking that a core2duo won't be far ...
do you think I could keep this big typhoon for a core2duo E6400, planned to OC to 3ghz?
coz, even with a prescott it's cool, running for now an hour or so, and still 36°c ...

any opinion?

thanks

i686

If you can/don't mind cutting an intake hole in the side of your case I would say go with the Big Typhoon with a high CFM fan. On my lapped e6600 I put a lapped big typoon with a 102 cfm silverstone fan and added a direct fresh air intake duct using 2 gutted 120mm fans stacked on top of the silverstone. It worked out perfect and butted right up against the side panel of my case which I cut a 4 1/2 inch hole and added a filter kit.

Over clocked to 3qhz running dual prime95s at 100% load I only see 43c at night and 46c during the day. I have never loaded it down with this set up at stock speeds but I can only imagine it would be in the mid 30s under load and upper 20s at idle..

Also the fresh air duct took 12c!! off my x1900xt with an accelero x2. It went from 75c loaded with the accelro to 63c. I guess it just really enjoys that cold fresh air blowing into the case....

I can post pics later when I get home if interested.

hi'
alright, that's good, and I have seen that it's made for lga775 too ...
the ifan from themaltake is great, really silent and efficient for it's 16db,
all I have seen better cfm can't go under 28db, too loud for me, I have a thermaltake case and the side of this eureka is opened with honeybee
holes, the air exchange is real good.
so, I'll look for a c2d E6600(not a E6400), and see what mobo goes well with, video will be a nvidia 7900gt, ram ... don't know yet.

anyway, thanks for advice ;)

i686

My vote is for the Tuniq Tower. However, given the unavailability of that cooler, I'm sure the Ultra120 or the Infinity will do just fine.

One advantage of Ultra 120 is that it is lighter than Infinity. Infinity+fan weights 960g and Ultra weights 870g as has a stronger mounting (backplate).

BTW, does anyone know if there is any soft material on the backplate of Ultra 120? And is it sticky?

Back