• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

45nm 'Wolfdale' coming Q3 07?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1333FSB makes it seem that its still going to be bound to the front side bus.
I would think if they were CSI the FSB wouldn't look like the Woodcrest parts.

Epsilon84 said:
As reported on the front page...

http://overclockers.com/tips01047/

So VR-ZONE reckons 3.5 - 4GHz, 6MB L2, 1333FSB and 57W TDP. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Discuss.

wow..... intel is stepping up their game ... i have a e6600 and i recently persuaded with alot of force my friend to go with an intel for his new rig.... he absolutly LOVES his E6300 over his X2 3800 system.... he says theres no competition.... i just cant even begin to imagine a 45nm core @ 4ghz performance wise.... are we going to see 5sec super pi 1ms?!!!!

and you guys wtf is CSI... crime sceen investigation?

ALSO do you guys think these things will be able to run on a "Conroe" mobo like my P5W DH? cus i kno for a fact my board will do 333fsb no prob. with just a simple bios update? and how long is socket T supost to be around for?

We dont know.
I saw no "due date" info out there.

So these sound like a die shrink + more cache.

Old (03/07/2005 9:00 AM EST) EEtimes article.
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60405584

Intel CSI
Intel's CSI bus will first appear on the Tukwila, a multicore version of the Itanium CPU that's set to ship in 2007. The CSI bus is also expected to appear the same year that versions of Intel's X86 Xeon server CPUs, probably including the chip code-named Whitefield, which will use "many more" than two cores, said Gelsinger.

So the "rumor" that it will be out in 07 is kinda old ;)

@nd4spdbh2.. CSI is a interconect tech similar to an advanced HT, its application is explained in the link under the Intel CSI section.

Last edited:
I think CSI means common system interface.

As for the date, CNETs article says that CSI should debut in 2008ish with the quad core Itanium. I'd expect it to trickle down to the Xeon lines. I heard that FBDIMM won't be used by Intel that much in the upcoming years and if Intel has CSI, it won't need FBDIMM and a quad FSB NB. They can do it if they want though. Quad channel FBDIMM controllers/CPU look good to me.

hmmm. 45nm chips seem too good to be true. i can believe the 6mb per cache. I can believe the low power envelope. However, i think 4ghz stock performance is questionable but if it does come 4ghz stock, 5ghz would seem possible for anyone with just high end air cooling or mid end water. Just seems too good to be true. LOL

I assume these have a new VRM standard given that it's a new process and sometimes BIOS updates can handle that without new VRM hardware. So has anyone heard about motherboard ompatability?

Well if our chips can hit from the E6300's to the well E6800's 3Ghz without voltage increaing from its defaut max level (1.35V most hit it lower at 1.3V or under) I could see a 4Ghz solution come out with the 45nm. Mmmm that would be sweet, what would even be better is not only faster stock, but also faster clock for clock that would make the upgrade an insane one and very sweet.

I've seen some statements that process shrinks in the alternating architecture and shrinks roadmap are supposed to be used as proof of the new process. In other words, they do one thing at a time - process shrink or new architecture. But apparently Penryn (45nm C2D) is going to have some important architectural improvements as well, I guess they just don't qualify as new architecture altogether:

http://techreport.com/etc/2006q4/fall-idf/index.x?pg=2

Not updated Netburst...updated Pentium M maybe. Penryn looks to be more than a simple 'dumb shrink' C2D on a smaller process in that it will add some significant features and not just minor tweaks.

I mean, in reality there aren't really any entirely 'new architectures' from the ground up just much better ways of doing things, CPUs almost always have at least something in common with previous ones.

Back