• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quake 4 Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

I just acquired Quake 4 and am running it on my game machine. See my sig. I haven't gamed for quite some time and am amazed that this game is so sluggish on my game rig. With all of the eye candy turned off and resolution a 640x480 it is still jerky.

What is it about my rig that is causing this. I suspect the video card, but don't know for sure.

Yeah your poor radeon 9600 is having trouble. I believe when my rig was a 6600GT and a XP-M quake 4 ran pretty well and it was beautiful on my XP-M and AIW X800-XT. My XP-M was overclocked to 2.4GHz but that isn't going to amount to much of a difference. New video card and you'll be all set.

I am not sure which system you are using but according to the chart of graphics cards at Tom's Hardware the card in your main rig is better than the card in your " gamer " rig.
No offense but both of them are pretty old and were bottom of the line for their generation even when they were new. I would think that upgrading even to a 9800pro would get the game running ok for you. Those can be head for about $50.

I ran Q4 at 800x600 with low detail and reasonable performance on a dual XP2100 machine with 1GB RAM and a Ti4200. It seemed to cope....

Checked for background tasks?

When I am in windows, I'm only using 17% of the physical memory. Everything else seem fast compared to my XP2400 rig. The FX5500 video card is indead old, but I just didn't expect it to be that slow. Is there anything in the game that I can tweak that could speed up the frame rate?

I loaded the latest NVIDIA drivers and that made the game playable at 800x600. I guess I still need a new video card. Can anyone suggest a card in $150 range that would improve my game. It has to be an AGP 8x card to run on my A8V.

hkgonra said:
I am not sure which system you are using but according to the chart of graphics cards at Tom's Hardware the card in your main rig is better than the card in your " gamer " rig.
No offense but both of them are pretty old and were bottom of the line for their generation even when they were new. I would think that upgrading even to a 9800pro would get the game running ok for you. Those can be head for about $50.

Not bottom line, actually mainstream.

dan

Dan0512 said:
Not bottom line, actually mainstream.

dan

Most 5500's have a passive heatsink, doesn't that make them equivelant to the previous generation MX series cards ? Which would be bottom line series.

hkgonra said:
Most 5500's have a passive heatsink, doesn't that make them equivelant to the previous generation MX series cards ? Which would be bottom line series.

Bottom line of the FX series is the FX5200. AFAIK the FX5500 is clocked much higher.

dan

The fx5500 is clocked a whole 20 mhz more on the core than the fx5200.Now that we have that cleared up,as far as it having a passive heatsink means nothing(although it is really not much faster than a mx) because there are some 7600 series cards with them and I would hardly compare them with the mx series.

stratcatprowlin said:
The fx5500 is clocked a whole 20 mhz more on the core than the fx5200.Now that we have that cleared up,as far as it having a passive heatsink means nothing(although it is really not much faster than a mx) because there are some 7600 series cards with them and I would hardly compare them with the mx series.

I had the FX5200 and it was a WONDERFUL card. It was actually much faster than the 6200TC I temporarily replaced it with. The thing to be careful about is whether you have a whole card, or one of the half-card value solutions that have the same name but don't deliver the same performance at all. I think my FX5200U would've run Quake 4 just fine. As would my 9600pro. I think the 7600GS (I have one of these, but in PCI-e) would be an excellent card to pair with Quake 4. I'm loving mine. (And it is indeed passive.)

No, here's how you play Quake 4 :p On a 52" HDTV.

Well, actually I don't play much on the HDTV, as for some weird reason, this graphics card doesn't like playing on HDTVs, though my 7900gtx and 7800gtx always did fine.

It was playing fine at 1280x720, but when I went to 1920x1080, it crashed.

Sorry for the bad picture quality, my camera is a 1.2mp camera, hehehe.

Back