• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this good RAM for OC'ing an E6400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my c4's top out at ddr2-1150ish@[email protected]. 2.3v dimm is the max of my board but i would expect the to get into ddr2-1200 at those timings with more volts.

greenmaji said:
In other words.. More FSB then you need :D
No problem.
yes and no, yes in the fact that setting fsb in bios or uguru higher then 395mhz results in 395mhz no matter what. yet uguru says the fsb is what i set it to.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/Abit ab9 pro/stuck.jpg
using the faster 2:3 ratio at that speed results insuperpi 1m "not exact round" errors at @ddr2-1175ish [email protected] timings. the ram speed im forgot as it wasnt stanble so i had to back it down.

s00pcan said:
As much as I'd like to have 2gb of overclockable ram right now, I'm NOT paying those prices. I can wait as long as it takes.

geeze. Youre right. I paid quite a bit less for those sticks when I purchased them. I think I paid 249.99, I didnt realize they were $299. Newegg really jacked the price up on those sticks :confused:

The best recommendations right now would still be those sticks that I mentioned and the Teamgroup DDR2-667
Edit* But if youre willing to spend $281 on the Corsair, why not spend the extra $19 on the gskill extreme line?
Good luck.

s00pcan said:
As much as I'd like to have 2gb of overclockable ram right now, I'm NOT paying those prices. I can wait as long as it takes.
well your going to be waiting a while. ram prices wont be like they were pre am2/c2d, got my 2 gig 6400-c4's @$255 saw them go as high as $325 so $280 is a deal imo. i was ready/expecting to pay $280+ when i first bought them.

dominick32 said:
geeze. Youre right. I paid quite a bit less for those sticks when I purchased them. I think I paid 249.99, I didnt realize they were $299. Newegg really jacked the price up on those sticks :confused:

The best recommendations right now would still be those sticks that I mentioned and the Teamgroup DDR2-667
Edit* But if youre willing to spend $281 on the Corsair, why not spend the extra $19 on the gskill extreme line?
Good luck.
why do you want to pay extra when both use the same D9 ic's. corsair has the better price and customer support/rma going for them.

Evilsizer said:
why do you want to pay extra when both use the same D9 ic's. corsair has the better price and customer support/rma going for them.

I guess its a personal thing for me. I have always had good success with Gskill memory. Corsair memory has had at least 1 stick fail on me for 3 seperate purchases in the past and I am 5/5 on gskill purchases. Corsair RMA was very slow for me, so hopefully you have a good retailer such as Newegg who has their own inclusive RMA program. No real reason on the gskill choice other than personal preference,good performance, and good tech support/rma service.

Indeed the IC's are the same so the obvious choice would be to save the $19 and buy the Corsair XMS through a reputable retailer with inclusive RMA. Good call.

So that's a no-go on the OCZ platinum's then? I was wooed by the $248 after rebate and picked them up last night. Not too late to change more order though....

This is my take on OCZ and C2D:
OCZ had early compatability problems, really lots of memory did especially on P965 boards, but OCZ's seemed a bit worse. Lots of this had to do with initial memory voltage settings at boot-up, OCZs seemed a bit worse because their modules seemed to need their higher than 1.8V settings to POST. BIOS revisions cleared up a lot of these memory problems. But OCZ ram had already fallen out of favor with oc'ers by the time these BIOS revisions came around and no one really buys them thus the Newegg supply&demand pricing puts them at a low price.

So, you can either be a bit of a guinea pig and see if OCZs run well now with new BIOSes and (if OCZ did any) module revisions, or spend more and get some of the commonly known to be 'good stuff' modules you linked.

I ordered the OCZ revision 2 platinums. The newegg user reviews mentioned the early compatibility problems and said OCZ had fixed them with these sticks. Ill keep this thread updated with how they work - $250 after rebate is a nice price for 2GB these days!

I don't know wich OCZ model's have D9's and we have a couple of employee's on the board that could have helped out in picking a D9 set :-/

greenmaji said:
I don't know wich OCZ model's have D9's and we have a couple of employee's on the board that could have helped out in picking a D9 set :-/

Not to skew off topic but:
I got my hands on some Titanium VX2 DDR2-1000 OCZ's and so far max has been 1120 mhz, 4-4-4-5, 2.4 volts. So I was able to achieve tight timings with high frequency. And they were completely compatible with the original bios of the P5B-Deluxe Wifi. So maybe the Titanium Line and all newer stock has alleviated those OCZ compatibility issues. Hope this helps someone considering the OCZ.

I don't know wich OCZ model's have D9's and we have a couple of employee's on the board that could have helped out in picking a D9 set

You know, after reading up a bit more Im gonna call newegg and get the black G.SKILL's or the Corsair's I think. They're ~$50 more, but man if I have to wait for an RMA because my ram doesnt work Im gonna be mighty sore :p

Putting together this PC has been the worst case of option anxiety I have ever experienced :)

Awake77 said:
You know, after reading up a bit more Im gonna call newegg and get the black G.SKILL's or the Corsair's I think.

this was without even trying really. i just set it to 300fsb, 1:2 ratio, 2.4v and voila:

243396025_169d20766b_o.jpg

these rams will not hold you back at all, you will be very happy.

btw, i run 500mhz, 4-4-4-10 day to day at 2.35v.

I have NO CLUE why the Gskill's are more expensive then the CORSIAR for greef sake, other then the MAD RUN people have been on to get them.

In my honest oppinon, I would rather buy the Corsair's if they were the same price with the specifications as listed.

But in the same breath, they are pretty much the same product.

Back