• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoreTemp, TAT, PC Probe, E6700 Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
RIG= E6700 Conroe with temporary Artic Freezer 7 air cooling.
P5B-Deluxe Wifi Mobo

Rather than post this question in my long running E6600 on Phase thread I decided to get everyones opinions in here. My E6700 temperatures are being reported as 43*C idle both in the bios and with Asus PC Probe. Probe is also reporting load temps of 52*C under DC Orthos. I have re-mounted and re-applyed Artic Silver on multiple occasions.

My first thoughts. Since current 6700's were shipping with uneven showercaps, a LAPPING/SMOOTHING job was in the near future for me.

Or #2 Mobo is reporting wrong temps.

Under Core Temp and Intels Thermal Analysis Tool temperatures are reporting 34*C idle and 42*C load. :confused:

Based on everyones experience with there own personal conroe/allendale temps on the P5B-Deluxe how does TAT and CoreTemp usually correlate to Asus Probe Temps? Based on the fact that these two tools are displaying drastically lower temps than PC probe and bios I am leaning towards my mobos temp sensor being faulty.

Comments, Questions??

Dom

Last edited:
dominick32 said:
Under Core Temp and Intels Thermal Analysis Tool temperatures are reporting 34*C idle and 42*C load. :confused:

are we talking stock speeds and volts? if so, i would believe these numbers.

i'll take TAT's readings over anything else, regardless of what it says.

i am actually more focused on the delta between idle and load temps, than i am with the actual temps themselves. my e6300 runs very happily at 3.5ghz, full orthos load, 67c+, as i found out when it was still very hot here. nowadays, with ambients temps way down, my temps have of course dropped, but at least i know i'm still good if i should have a fan failure. :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
are we talking stock speeds and volts? if so, i would believe these numbers.

i'll take TAT's readings over anything else, regardless of what it says.

i am actually more focused on the delta between idle and load temps, than i am with the actual temps themselves. my e6300 runs very happily at 3.5ghz, full orthos load, 67c+, as i found out when it was still very hot here. nowadays, with ambients temps way down, my temps have of course dropped, but at least i know i'm still good if i should have a fan failure. :D
Yes,
We are talking stock clocks, stock voltage. It is definitely looking like a faulty mobo sensor. Because on my original P5B-Deluxe, TAT and Core Temp ALWAYS displayed at least 5 to 10*C higher than PC probe and bios. Now its suddenly the opposite. So the mobo has to be the culprit.

Thanks for the response. I hate air cooling. When is Jinu gonna finish with my Vapo Mods??? Does anyone know? :)

My same P4-D805 on stock speed & cooler, at old mobo was idle 45/load 60 while same cpu,speed & cooling at P5B-Deluxe, it is now idling at 60/load 82 reported by Asus Probe II ! :D

While on 82C, no throttling detected using ThrottleWatch or RightMark CPU Clock, so go figure ! :)

When C2D times come, I will definitely do this on my D805 as Joe did.

8052.jpg

Last edited:
bing, i don't think that is a good idea, nor do i think it is worth it. with a C2D, just go by what TAT tells you and call it a day. no need to risk killing your chip with a setup like that, IMO.

No, I said when I bought C2D, this cheapo D805 will be the victim, not that expensive glass. :D

Thanks for the responses guys. Bing, your response is definitely what I was looking for. It just proves the fact that you cannot trust the P5B-Deluxe sensor for accurate temps. From my situation, I have seen the temperature vary board to board. This is my 2nd P5B-Deluxe.

Thanks again.

i dunno stock speeds and volts probe and TAT say same for me, depending on room temp idle is 27-29c load is 32-34c

at 3.0 with stock volts I get 30-33c and about 40c load

Dom, another thing if you don't mind test it for me while you're on air.

Try set the CPU speed "manually but on stock", and then set the vcore to AUTO and see what that VCore that mobo is pumping out thru Asus Probe.

Once you noted the VCore, now set manually the vcore to the lowest that is possible while maintain stable "at stock speed", see if there is any huge difference.

The reason I ask this because my P5B-Dlx while on "stock" speed, when VCore is on Auto, it gave me 1.2 V reading on Probe !!

But when I set the VCore manually, I could get the VCore setting down to 1.1000 V at BIOS and still stable, Probe shows 1.06V idle/1.03V onload. Strange isn't it ?

dominick32 said:

I have the same "problem" (W/ P5B)

Asus Probe is reporting temperature 10-15 C higher than Core Temp or TAT.

So...

Core Temp is right, meaning that the probe use by Asus Probe is faulty.

Asus Probe is right, meaning that the Digital Thermal Sensor use by Core Temp is faulty...

my p5w dh deluxe gets the opposite. It is always about 10C higher reading on TAT and core temp then it is on the probe or ai booster monitors. My e6600 running at 3.0ghz and 1.31v is 36C idle and gets up to 52C on orhtos using core temp and TAT. It reads 26C and only gets up to 42C orthos using the asus monitors. I wish the asus monitors were correct but everything I read tells me that core and TAT are more reliable. I also have a hardware monitor that agrees with the asus software. What to believe?

jimmsch said:
my p5w dh deluxe gets the opposite. It is always about 10C higher reading on TAT and core temp then it is on the probe or ai booster monitors.

Normally Core Temp is suppose to be a good 10 C higher than Asus Probe.

But for some peoples, it's the opposite and for those peoples I suspect a faulty probe on the Motherboard.

I have e6600 running (stock, no overclock)

Idle
Asus Probe: 50C
Core Temp: 35 C

Load:
Asus probe: 65 C
Core Temp: 48 C

I think that the results with Core Temp are more realistic and that the motherboard probe is defective.

I pass the OCCT test with no mistake.

OK guys, lots going on here let me try to explain my theory. TAT and coretemp DO NOT rely on mobo sensors. What you see with these should be an actual value coming directly from each core - these programs tap into the core itself for the reading bypassing any mobo sensor. On the P5W DH's speedfan and probe do show a core temp, but it is altered. What I believe this mobo is trying to do is give a Tcase temp (Tcase is the temp of the top center of IHS - can only be measured by channeling the IHS and placing a thermocouple in the center). So to get this Tcase simulated value, they take the acutal reading of the core and perform some formula to simulate this value. In the case of the P5B most folks report that speedfan and probe show nearly identical to TAT and coretemp. It seems the mobo is picking up directly from the CPU like TAT or coretemp. On some of these mobos I imagine this reading could be off as it is still part of the mobo (which again may have a formula which could be off) and it's sensors.

In short, I only pay attention to coretemp and TAT to gauge what is going on and I would advise you to do the same.

nikhsub1 said:
In short, I only pay attention to coretemp and TAT to gauge what is going on and I would advise you to do the same.

You're right.

TAT and Core Temp read the Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual processing core, near the hottest part.

Asus probe or Speed Fan read some sort of sensor on the board.

Usually, Temperature read from the DTS is higher than the temperature read by the board.

But for some person (like me), it's the opposite, meaning that either the DTS or the board sensor is screw up.

My temp (Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 / P5B / Zelman 9700 / not overclocked):

Idle
CoreTemp/TAT: 30-34 C
Asus Probe: 48-50 C

Full Load
CoreTemp/TAT: 46-48 C
Asus Probe: 64-66 C

Now,

if the DTS is right and board is wrong, my temp. are ok.

if the DTS is wrong and board is right, my temp. are alarming.

Personally, I think that the reading from Core temp make more sense. But I read elsewhere that Asus Probe is right and the DTS could have a bad calibration... :bang head

DaveOath said:
But I read elsewhere that Asus Probe is right and the DTS could have a bad calibration... :bang head
If the DTS has bad calibration than NOTHING will report correctly since the mobo sensors pull from that as well... However, my point is that when pulled from the mobo you are going though an additional device - mobo > CPU where coretemp and TAT pull right from the CPU. If the algorithm that the mobo sensor uses is jacked, that does not mean the DTS is off.

Back