• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to clean the dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is the best/easiest/safest way to clean the dust on video card, sound card, etc.?

Canned/Compressed Air FTW!!!

You gotta be careful with whichever one you buy though-you could end up with one that uses some weird form of aerosol to release, and that would suck, because you just coated your video card/sound card/etc with moisture :banghead

Shadowhawk109 said:
Canned/Compressed Air FTW!!!

You gotta be careful with whichever one you buy though-you could end up with one that uses some weird form of aerosol to release, and that would suck, because you just coated your video card/sound card/etc with moisture :banghead
Just don't turn the can upside down while blowing the air and it should be fine.

I had some canned air and upon reading some of the warning labels, I got freaked out and went against using it. Used a combination of a soft brush, soft tissues and q-tips instead lol.

:argue: My girlfriend was so angry at me because I used her brand new make-up brush to clean my old laptop lol:bang head

Canned air is fine, but make sure you hold the fan(s) steady to keep them from spinning too fast and screwing up the bearings. Any moisture they cause should evaporate quickly and won't matter provided your system is turned off and preferably unplugged. Avoid using blowers (ie: an air compressor) due to high pressure and moisture, and don't use a vacuum because of static issues.

This sounds interesting. Might have to try this with .. err... someone else's machine :D
VV

Last edited:
leaf blower?

Thats what I usually use. Take the whole system outside, turn on and more the most part it is dust free.

Now using that on an individual card, might not be a good idea, as you might blow the card or flip it.

Compressed air FTW!

I use the air compressor at my house. Just make sure that the water in the tank is drained, and the water trap is functioning correctly. I just used it today to clean out my mom's computer before I stole my Radeon back from her lol..gotta love boards with built in video.

I use an old natural hair paint brush that's never been used for anything but cleaning out my 'puters. I keep it in my desk drawer always.
I never use compressed products because of the force they can generate. They can also blow loose dust into small areas that can then trap moisture, especially when you watercool (and spill), into the worst possible (and hardest to dry) areas.

I wouldn't recommend the black nylon bristles, static is possible. Though the brush cannot discharge it, the next touch of a finger can.

bad99 said:
:argue: My girlfriend was so angry at me because I used her brand new make-up brush to clean my old laptop lol:bang head
LOL, i did the same thing once. after i found out how much those things cost i never touched them again

Vipersfate said:
I use the air compressor at my house. Just make sure that the water in the tank is drained, and the water trap is functioning correctly. I just used it today to clean out my mom's computer before I stole my Radeon back from her lol..gotta love boards with built in video.

Ditto, been using the air compressor to clean PCs for years.
I just stay back about a foot, drain the tank and don't do it on a humid day.

I actually blew my case out today =)
Will be doing the server tomorrow to install the new MB/CPU/RAM =)

I take my rig out side and use a combination of Dollar store paint brush and the small air blower my wife blows up out guest air bed. Cheapest solution I could think of.

Back