• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes- SWG replacement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Are you comparing it to SWG due to SOE having a hand in it or for a different reason??

I am PROBABLY picking up that game as soon as I can. Im interested to see what it looks like.

taken from the FAQ and what a lot of people are interested in it becasue of:
As for the Vision(TM), love it or hate it, love me or hate me, it is what it is. We do listen. It does change when it needs to. But what it doesn't do is radically transform into another vision. It adapts. It expands. But the core is the core. In other words, to be more blunt, we're not going to suddenly decide we're taking on WoW directly and making a WoW clone, nor a D&D clone, nor an EQ 2 clone (although many have pointed out the obvious related heritage). Vanguard is its own game, built on the vision, which comes from both EQ and from the MUDs we played before that. To that extent it is very consistent.

We have identified our target audience, the core gamer. Please look up previous posts where I've said alot about who I feel that is. Then we are also going to try to attract more casual and more raid people. People on both sides. But never putting the core gamer at risk. And then we are going to branch out almost from a genre-standpoint. We are doing things like very involved harvesting/crafting, diplomacy which touches, eventually even on RTS elements, and more. We're taking combat really far. Good luck on two-boxing. You need to pay attention in this game. Every once in a while somebody sees a level one in Vanguard and is concerned the game pace is to slow. I promise you, you want the general 'round' to be that long, because even at mid levels there is THAT much going on. You need to be aware of who is doing what, what NPC is on who, what abiliity they are about to use, if you have a counter. You could be using a combat starter and a bridge could pop up that forks. Which related ability do you want to use? Make your choice. You don't have much time. Oh wait! While you were thinking, in those brief seconds, another icon popped up. A counter ability/spell. Now you need to decide whether to finish your chained attack (and which bridge to take), or to counter that ability. What do you now about that abiility? Is it critical enough to counter no mattter what or can you let it slide? But wait, while you're pondering all of this, two more icons pop up giving you the opportunity (and letting you know) that your secondary defensive target, say your cleric, was just aggroed. You have the option of rescuing him.

So you can finish you attack, counter, or rescue. Add to that our emphasis on multiple mob encounters (hard to seperate a group), and you get more chaos. Add in situational awareness. Is my cleric ok (I'm RPing a warrior here). Is my sorc ok? Did either the sorc or the ranger just do so much damage they may draw aggro? Or do they have some abilitiy to mask that....

It goes on and on, but hopefully you get my point. I could go on and on about the other spheres, and I and others have already. Lots of revolutionary stuff, IMHO, built on that solid foundation which I know now, at least as a level 30 Warrior playing the game daily, is damn fun in a group situation outdoors and in the depths of a dungeon. So new stuff, but sticking to the vision, the core.

Why won't we suddenly change and try to mimic ?

Couple of reasons.

First of all, we don't want to. We love this game. This is what we want to make, not a clone or mimic.

Second, we are confident that our target audience, while likely not as large as WoWs, is plenty big to make the game successful, make MSFT happy, make Sigil happy, and support us in our future endeavors. I know people debate this. It's niche! Well, does niche = 500k because WoW has 4 million? If so, I like niche. If it's 100k, well, that would be sub-optimal, but I'm not too worried

There was alot of hype for this game for awhile until SOE gobbled it up then people stopped talking about it. Yes I dislike Sony..and I used to play EQII and yes I dislike SOE (although they run a better server than Blizzard) but I'll be curious to see how this plays.

I missed the player housing and economics of SWG, but that's probably because I was mostly a crafter. So if they can have unique player housing that lets me put my buildings wherever I feel like (that's reasonable) then I'd probably like it.

Adragontattoo said:
Are you comparing it to SWG due to SOE having a hand in it or for a different reason?

No it just has that look and feel and hopefully SOE will have very little to do with it other then it runs on their servers probably unused SWG ones, lol
(Well looks to have the feel)

Hears some new in game footage.
http://vanguard.tentonhammer.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=417

The mounts and flora reminded me of SWG, how about you?

Those of you who wish to be Creature tamers again look here (man I liked that class)

Here is all I can find on crafting so far by some one that saw the game in action:
"I saw some really low level crafting in action and it looks like I may actually be a crafter for the first time in my MMOG history. There's nothing new I saw (you have points to spend on different actions and you need to complete certain actions to craft your item, you have different choices that you can make along the way that affect your quality, but you can't go to crazy on quality unless you have the points for it, all actions are turn based), but all of the actions were animated. When you pump the bellows, you actually pump the bellows. It's one of those "sounds good, looks great" things that I just can't put in to words other than seeing it makes me want to try it out."

Those of you that wish to be TKA again

Housing in this game is, repeat, is based on SWG
http://www.thesafehouse.org/mugshots/videos/FG0106/index1.php#

Last edited:
I've had beta in this game for awhile now.

It's similar to swg in some aspects, but not really. The toons look about the same. Crafting and fighting are different though. Personally, I enjoyed SWG more.

I'm not at all happy with beta atm. The original vision for the game, by Brad himself, stated their target market would be around 400k subscribers, and for the hardcore gamer.

Most of the people I've met in-game, who are from EQ1, aren't at all happy with the game. The WoWers love it, old time EQ'ers aren't sure. Kinda like me haha.

Granted it's still beta and many things are sure to change. We'll see.

nerd4life said:
I've had beta in this game for awhile now.

It's similar to swg in some aspects, but not really. The toons look about the same. Crafting and fighting are different though. Personally, I enjoyed SWG more.

I'm not at all happy with beta atm. The original vision for the game, by Brad himself, stated their target market would be around 400k subscribers, and for the hardcore gamer.

Most of the people I've met in-game, who are from EQ1, aren't at all happy with the game. The WoWers love it, old time EQ'ers aren't sure. Kinda like me haha.

Granted it's still beta and many things are sure to change. We'll see.

Well can you explain the crafting and the fighting a little. Do you use crafting stations or crafting tools of some sort. Do the resources have different variable statistics on them? How do you gather resources? Are their machines you can use to do the work for you while your away? Can you explain the economy as it stands in Beta. How do you start out getting cash in the beginning? Running missions for NCP's? Are their crafting as well as fighting missions worth money? How does fighting work? Is their PvP their? Hows the houses different sizes available?

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is listed as a AGEIA PhysX Title also. Interested to know what difference it will make for $200 probably not enough to warrant me paying $200 through.

i think i am going to pre-order when available....read an interview on mmorpg.com that got me even more interested

This thread is not knocking MMORPG's!!

Ya know, I did the EQ thing (47 troll sk, 52 Iksar Monk, 10 twinks below level 20), and I did the EQ 2 thing (Lvl 19 fighter type, lvl 53 Iksar Assassin many twinks) and I just stopped playing. I think my biggest reason, was one night, collecting some part of some key for the prismatic line of quests. We waited for 4 hours, in a corridor, and finally someone brought us through the dungeon of fire( truly impressive graphically!!!) and we got the key. I harvested for hours, and hours, and had fun. I guess it just broke my stamina. I felt I was on the constant keeping up with the neighbors, and that killed it for me i guess. I have wondered how it would be like to go play it again, and the fun times, running through dangerous areas (level 50 assassin, sneaking around in red^^^ areas lol) but i just did not want to do it anymore.

Is there something Im not getting about the game? I told myself, if ever a game becomes tedious, or like a job, then I put it down. I back up and have some fun for a change. The game just did not feel like fun anymore.

I may buy Vangaurd and try it, why not, im recently divorced and have no one to ***** at me anymore(BIIIGGGG WOOOT!!!!!), but I hope it doesnt become another grind. Mayby Ill just grind it out to get to the highest levels, than work on crafting. It seems that trying to do both, just is aggravating. I dont know. Mayby im like a heroin addict thats been sober for a while, and wonder what it would be like to taste the needle again....

Coming from WoW I may like it according to nerd4life. The main thing for me is how the pvp plays out during beta up to release and if I can play casually like WoW and still have fun. We'll see.

Last edited:
SOE?

Sounded good as a thread title, but now that I saw that SOE is behind it, no freaking way.

After they ruined SWG (My first fun MMO btw) and came up with all this NGE/CU crap, I have lost all respect for them :p

Maybe if they get some new devs, it'd be cool, but right now I'm still ****ed off at them for doing such a shoddy job.

Just my 2 cents.

Back