• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig, thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apeezee

Registered
I finally have money for a good rig. Im probally going to spend around 700 when it is all said and done. Let me know ya'll's thoughts on what i got going... I already have a 5.1 sound blaster PCI and two HDDs and a 19" CRT (yea, huge), keyboards, speaks, etc.. So this is what i am looking at:

Case
Thermaltake Mambo VC2000BNS Mid Tower 24.99 ZipZoom
PSU
SPARKLE ATX-400PA ATX12V 38.99 Buy.com
MB
Asus M2N-E GbLan/Aud/Sata/RAID 99.49 ZipZoom
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz Socket AM2 79.9 ZipZoom
RAM
Crucial Ballistix 1GB PC2-6400 DDR2 145 ZipZoom
Video
SAPPHIRE 100168L Radeon X1900XT 256MB 254.99 Chief Value
Total: 643.36 After Mail-In and what not

Any constructive thoughts? Thanks

EDIT: Just ordered everything but the videocard and PSU, since all that stuff i was pretty sure about and all from zipzoomfly, no shipping, rock. Lemme know about my PSU/Video card choice, im kind of concerned about the PSU (maybe not enough for the card, optical, two HDDs, floppy, 120mm fan x2, and a 80mm fan, and two accessory PCI cards...) Hmmm?

Last edited:
Yea, i am taking a look at that right now. It seems like they are both pretty evenly matched, the X1900 and the 7900GTO... I can't really seem to find any differences between the two. Some places have the X1900 right above the 7900 and other places have the opposite. I really went with the Tom's Hardware recommendation on the X1900... If anyone has any significant differences between the two that they could point out, lemme know... They are both the exact same price from chiefvalue.

EDIT: Crap. Found an eVGA 7900GTO 512 ram for the same price on mwave. :p I think that is going to have the be the ticket... The boost in video ram is killer, especially for an almost identical chipset. Also, should be better to OC an nvidia, from what i've heard they run a lot cooler than the ATI chips....

Last edited:
With the PSU-get a 600W OCZ PSU-newegg has them for ~$100 I believe. Yes, more expensive, yes WAY better quality, and YES easier to OC with.

On a different note...

I LEVELED UP!!! WOOT!

Jeebus, 600W! I could power the death star with that ;) Im looking at the prices right now for the PSU. I had a feeling that i would have to get a much better PSU than what i had on there. I guess it is a good idea not to scrimp on the PSU huh? crap. Oh well. Ill take a peek and see what kind of prices i can get. Lemme know if you guys have any good links to find em cheap.. Newegg isn't too bad ~100, but i think i can find lower than that.

OCZ and Fortron are considered the best of the best, and you should NEVER scrimp out on the PSU-i did and my system fried...at least mine was only worth maybe $400 at the time...coulda been a LOT worse.

Unless it's been changed, the 600w OCZ is a dual rail PSU. You would be much better served by a single rail PSU, hence, the 520 OCZ is a better choice for less money.

depends on what games you plan on playing with it (the only reason youd spend $400+ on a compy is for games, thus why i said this)

If you want Vista-based games, go with a Nvidia 7300 or 7600 now and upgrade to a DX10 capable card as the games start coming out.

I personally suggest getting an UBERGOOD gfx card (7950GFX for $600) and also buying a 80GB Raptor to install Vista on. Since the two major games for vista are going to be DX9 capable, you would be good with dual booting WinXP and Vista and getting the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

That enhance 500W looks pretty sweet. I don't think i need the 600, it would be nice to have, but a little overkill. :p I think that i am going to go with that eVGA card and the 500W PSU. I think that should do all i want it to do. I can't wait to get this up and going. I have been stuck in the dark ages for some time with my computer, this is going to be great!

EDIT: Just found this OCZ from F'n walmart of all places http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ct_id=5161893&sourceid=0100000030660804302498How's that baby look? I might have to cut a hole in the top of my case for the upper fan, but thats all good

Last edited:
Back