• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipset question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I'm in the market for a new motherboard and I was comparing different chipsets. I found a board that suits my needs but I am not familiar with the chipset. It is a crossfire board running the Radeon Xpress 200 chipset. I read some reviews on it and it says that it only has 20 PCI lanes. But the board is crossfire and that means that it would be using 32 lanes, right? So how can this be? Maybe someone can explain it to me. the review also mentioned something about no cross something-or-other about RAID, not that it matters since I don't run RAID.

On a not so related note...an x800gto isn't crossfire capable, right?

That is the first crossfire enabled chipset, it runs the pci-e slots at 2x8. The chipset your looking for is Xpress 3200, that is the one with 2x16 pci-e lanes, also with an ATi chipset the south bridge doens't necessarily have to be from ATi, that is good because the southbrige that comes with the Xpress 200 isn't a good performer

Back