• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External, NAS or XP embedded

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

I am looking for a cheap effiecient manner in which to store all of my video files. I have more then 400GBs backed up on Disc as well as another 100GB on a harddrive.

I intend to setup my "game PC" in the front room with an attachment to the home theater system and another PC in another room using a monitor as a television screen. I am recieving a HTPC case that does not have much room for HDDs hence the dilemna.

Tryign to do this as efficiently as possible, I looked at NAS solutions on the EGG but I do not know much about them and they seem REALLY expensive. Is there such a thing as a cheap gigabit NAS shell that I can get HDDs for myself?

External hdds are definitely a cheap way to go. Of course going my eSATA for speed in streaming video, and or music and im thinking possibly putting my applications disks onto HDDs and mounting them with virtual ROM software (prolly daemon or alcohol)

Lastly, I have an old hp pavilion with 433 MHz Celeron 256MB of PC100 (i think it might be 512). I could just get a gigabit NIC for it and use it to run 4 HDD swith no optical drive, not sure if that would over tax the system (I do have an older 400W Antec PSU I will power it with). DLingthe XP embedded trial now to give that a whirl as standard XP is just too clunky for it, although I may try running 2k again (I think I stil lhave a legit copy of that lying around).

Alternatively, the celeron system could be replaced in the future with a miniITX system, but of course I will have to look into how to do that. Also could consider doubling the duties of this as awebserver or such in the future. Using tiny firewall to prevent windows from accessingthe storage files.

I have tried installing linux on the pavilion but it just wont install there was issues with the CDROM being recognized, so I found the solution to boot into PIO mode, but then after getting through the HDD formatting etc, Linux wouldnt install because the ROM was in PIO mode :confused:

Anyone's opinion is helpful as I have never had an external Drive or a NAS storage before.

Back