Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Universal doesn't "get it" as usual

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 10-18-06, 08:49 AM Thread Starter   #1
FudgeNuggets

Universal doesn't "get it" as usual

http://www.wired.com/news/wireservic...?tw=wn_index_5

I know we're all sick of hearing about file sharing and youtube blah-blah-blah but c'mon suing over a music video being on Youtube? I get that they don't want tv shows on there because they impact the sales of DVDs now that ALL the shows come out on DVD , but music videos do not and this is no different that recording it off of MTV or VH1 (if MTV or VH1 actually played music anymore ). The only difference is that not tens of millions of people have to record it. I remember recording Headbanger's Ball off of MTV when I was a kid (and they played music). What are music videos for? They're for generating buzz and attracting people to buy the CD, just like the songs they release as singles on the radio. YouTube is doing them a favour in this sense by giving them more exposure than a television music channel can. If I want to see the latest Green Day video, I don't have to sit around for hours listening to Jay-Z, Gnarls Barkley, Beyonce or other stuff that I absolutely hate.

ALL THEY ARE DOING IS ALIENATING THE CONSUMERS with their lawsuits and demanding content being pulled off the net. Consumers of course are sheep who instead of saying BAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAA say BUUUUUUUUUY BUUUUUUUUY and until they start boycotting these fools then the media companies will continue to lead the sheep to slaughter.

I feel I can comment on this without bias because I've actually worked in the industry and I can't say for sure, but knowing the guy a bit, I'd say Steve Smith would probably LOVE to see Red Green on YouTube so that consumers would learn who he is (believe it or not CBC and PBS shows don't get watched like CSI unless they're kids' shows like Barney, Thomas or Sesame Street). That way people would go out and BUY his books, BUY "Duct Tape Forever" on DVD and watch the TV show in syndication. IT'S FRIGGIN FREE PUBLICITY MAN!!!!!

Last edited by FudgeNuggets; 10-18-06 at 12:29 PM.
FudgeNuggets is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-18-06, 08:52 AM   #2
Neuromancer

Red/Green Show is awesome

I dont get PBS so its been months since I have seen it
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-18-06, 08:53 AM   #3
Quailane

You can buy music videos on DVD.

Old 10-18-06, 09:08 AM   #4
telexen

They're greedy. The truth is - they don't care if these files are shared - it only helps to promote their end target/product.

They never threw a fit about audio cassettes being copied or recording from the radio. They see an easy way to earn a few more bucks and are taking it for all it's worth.
telexen is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-18-06, 10:11 AM   #5
billb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FudgeNuggets

I know we're all sick of hearing about file sharing and youtube blah-blah-blah [/size]
Nice rant.

As I see it, the video industry saw what VHS did to movies, casette tape did to black vinyl, and CD burners did to CD's. Now DVD burners, UTube etc are doing it to video again. They have their heads up their buts. Wouldn't 10 cents to download a UTube clip be reasonable. They've seen that copy protection and lawsuits are ineffective while Steve Jobs lines his pockets with $$$$.

Old 10-18-06, 10:12 AM   #6
Neuromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by telexen
They never threw a fit about audio cassettes being copied or recording from the radio. They see an easy way to earn a few more bucks and are taking it for all it's worth.
I think they did though..

Could be wrong, either way they still suck.
Neuromancer is offline Benching Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-18-06, 10:25 AM   #7
dicecca112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0mancer
I think they did though..

Could be wrong, either way they still suck.
They did make a stink and I believe it was overturned by the courts. Same thing that allows us to tape shows from tv.
dicecca112 is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-18-06, 12:09 PM   #8
zexmarquies01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FudgeNuggets

btw:: look who owns Universal : SONY
wait, that doesn't make sense.

if sony owns universal, Then why has universal dropped support for the Blu-ray disc??????

you would think sony would have universal being a spokesman for blu-ray.

you have any proof, or links as to showing me if universal is really owned by sony? I'm not attacking you, but that just doesn't make sense in my book.

And if a sony owned company says no to a sony product, then there's got to be SOMETHING wrong with that product. at least, thats how i'd see it.

EVGA GTX 460
HAF 932 Tower

"Talking about how fast you beat a game is like talking about how fast you are in bed."
Do you like Anime? Then join the OCF anime club! OCF Anime Club Click here, and click JOIN!
zexmarquies01 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 10-18-06, 12:30 PM Thread Starter   #9
FudgeNuggets

My bad, I ran across some misinformation. General Electric owns Universal.
FudgeNuggets is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.