• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Click, Freeze, Reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ewalk123

I am having a strange problem that has been going on for quite some time. Periodically (usually while playing a game) I will hear a "click" sound from my computer and my screen, sound, mouse will freeze. 90% of the time my computer will retart itself after about 30sec to 1min of being frozen. The other 10% of the time it will unfreeze and go back to normal.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: this happens when overclocked AND when running stock.

Sounds like your hard drive could be going bad.
The click could be the heads of the HDD resetting.

If you restart your PC, right after the system posts all the heads of the HDDs reset, listen and see if its the same click or not.

Or your PSU could be going bad and not even good power to the HDD making it act funky. Though if this was the case you would have other instability problems.

I have a Vantec external laptop HDD encloser which has 2 USB 2.0 ports in it. The 2nd USB port is to supply the encloser with more power incase it needs it to run more power hungry drive. (With out the need for an AC adapter)
If I only plug 1 USB port into the enclose the drive will click every few min and stop transferring data for a few seconds after that.
I plugged in the 2nd USB port to give it more power and the clicking stopped and transferred smoother after that.

If the HDD in question is the Seagate in your sig, go to the seagate site and download Seatools and see if your drive passes the testes.

EDIT: Not sure if this actually does happen but if I remember right some types of windows crashes let the HDD reset (which causes the click) and the drive might not be bad at all.

Last edited:
Like mentioned, the clicking if the same, is a dreaded time in every HDD's life that I dread coming. If it is the drive then it's time for a new one. The easiest way to figure this out would just have no sound on and play a game, and listen closely to where the click comes from.

Back